Google Docs Community Channel

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, April 2, 2008
16 years ago2,541 views

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/04/google-docs-mean-sharing.html

http://youtube.com/googledocscommunity

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Excellente initiative! But I want a community platform to share Google Docs, templates and Presentation themes (Google is currently working on templates – they conduct a survey to known what kind of templates are the most wanted – and they'll probably release a solution similar to the "gadget feature" in spreadsheet).

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The question is: is it useful?
I don't think so.
(a Google PR just tell me I was too cynical. I agree :-P)

16 years ago #

I'm collaborating with many students (most of them in services marketing...) who just can't manage something different than Office. Many people can't guess/find how to insert a comment, or publish a doc and even use the revision history.

It won't be useful for geeks, but very useful for employees and students whose organization shifted to Google Apps: what about a Google starting page gadget with how-to videos automatically added by the IT department? It sounds perfect for companies who want to educate their employees to Google Docs.

Honestly, the Google Groups is a big mess and the Help Center isn't enough interactive for most users. Google won't have to produce video (how-to website will do that for them, thanks to Youtube ads).

BTW, I've noticed that Google wants to use Youtube to "leverage" Google Docs (pardon my English) : they've already added the Google Docs Offline video to empty Youtube QuickLists. I think it's a smart move since Google Docs and Youtube have similarities: both may become sharing platform (see my previous comment about a site to share docs and templates). Imagine the Google Docs collaboration suite with docs, spreadsheet, presentation, videos, knols, photo and maps (not so realistic but it would be so awesome!). For that, they need to make people familiar with Google Docs and video is probably the easiest way to spread the word.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<<They've already added the Google Docs Offline video to empty Youtube QuickLists>>

That would be evil and I doubt Google/YouTube would do this to promote a small feature of an unfamiliar service. The numbers also seem to contradict your affirmation: Google's video only has 78,233 views. Most likely, you've accidentally clicked on the small "+" overlay.

16 years ago #

That's what I though. But I have another youtube account I've never used before (I have several Gmail address and one of them had never been associated with a youtube account) and to verify that I hadn't added the video accidentaly to my usual youtube account, I've opened the second youtube account (a new one) and surprise, there were the same video in the quicklist. If it was me who added the video, how could the same video been added to an other account? I can't explain that, and I would like to know if I'm the only youtube user with this addition (I would admit I accidentally added twice this video). I'm very curious to know how the Google culture change with new services of their integration, that's why I flashed on this QuickList... But I may be wrong (for the only 78K views, I would wait 24h, because as far as I've observed, Youtube doesn't update very frequently the view count).

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

QuickList videos are stored in a cookie and are not connected to an account.

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Ionut: you're right. My verification was useless, I agree I must have clicked on the "+". Once.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!