Google Blogoscoped

Forum

New Site: Forty Faces  (View post)

Digital Inspiration [PersonRank 2]

Friday, November 11, 2005
18 years ago

Philipp,

Just encountered your new website through my webstats.

Project looks quite interesting.

Good luck.
Amit

Justin Pfister [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I just made a post.. I'm curious what the refresh rate is on the RSS feeds is?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Justin, at the moment it's 30 minutes. I'll look for your face to appear soon.

Justin Pfister [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

30 Minutes seems OK. Do you know what the Refresh rate on Google's blog search is?

18 years ago #

Not quite sure what Google blog search does. Actually, I believe 60 minutes is the "default" and threshold for not getting blocked on sites like Slashdot.org... I might be wrong...

18 years ago #

By the way, if anyone knows why tooltips aren't showing in Firefox 1.0.7 here... I've included title and alt text and yet (even with no CSS at all) there won't be any tip popping up. In IE, this works fine.

Stephan Locher [PersonRank 9]

18 years ago #

I've Firefox 1.0.7 too and see the tooltipps on Forty Faces
(Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/1.0.7).

btw. I noted that sometimes there is a little Icon on the left of forum entries, can you tell me when this icon is changed?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'm using the same as Stephan – Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050919 Firefox/1.0.7 – and I'm not seeing any ALT or TITLE text attached to images for *any* site, not just yours. Weird.

Ariel Erlijman [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Good Work!
Nice to see my face next to important people!
I think you should work more around it to give some more value to visitors. It is just new at the moment..but in 2 months it will be history.

Ariel Erlijman

18 years ago #

Ariel, I do have some ideas how I could expand it. For now, I like the simplicity of it.

Stephan, keep posting here using the same nick/ real name and I'll just create an icon for you. And good to see at least *some* Firefoxes can have tooltips. It's really strange how much serious usage bugs Firefox has.

Just added you to my RSS [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I've been looking for new websites to expand my RSS horizons. I manage advertising for my company, and I'm very interested in the intricacies of Google. Looks like I'll have to check back often.

I love the Forty Faces website. I had to rummage around a bit to find a decent photo. I hope the one I sent you is satisfactory.

Frank Gruber [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Great job with this Philipp! I love it! Can you make it into a rail flash item similar to the one Flickr offers in my right rail here: http://www.somewhatfrank.com? I think it would be perfect to add a mini version to a rail of a blog.

18 years ago #

Interesting idea Frank. I'll think about it. It would be non-animated DHTML but about the same size if I do it. I wouldn't want to do it in bigger size as the bloggers who send the photo to me might object of such usage (e.g. appearing visibly on other sites), but at a tiny size it could be cool.

voxefx [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Looks great, and I too love the simplicity. Thanks for the inclusion.

Posted Steve's screenshot on Flickr [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

You can add notes over your pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amit-agarwal/62163961/

Artem [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Philipp, would it be reasonable to add a rollover with the first paragpraph of the post. E.g. as an image alt attribute.

I mean that seeing faces is cool, and author name tells a lot about the expected satisfaction from his post, but still having a post snipplet could make FortyFaces.com look more like a real reader tool :)

Mani [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

In fact I found this cool project from here
http://pchere.blogspot.com/2005/11/forty-faces-update-blogs-to-post-your.html

Artem [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Is the fortyfaces.com down or under the upgrade? Logo is displayed there, but no faces are shown at the moment

Artem [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Oups, it's up and running again. Did I say some magic word? :)

18 years ago #

Artem, the pics weren't showing for ~1-5 minutes. I optimized some parts of the program and briefly introduced a bug that's now fixed...

Artem [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Is it possible to submit several blogs?

18 years ago #

Artem, not at the moment, but maybe in the future.

CarLBanks [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

This is a very cool idea!

Ades [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

Funny idea. Congratulations...

Artem [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

"By the way, if anyone knows why tooltips aren’t showing in Firefox 1.0.7 here"

I remember there was a special extension for Firefox, that made these alt text be shown as tooltips. I even have it installed on my office PC. Unfortunately, I was always too lazy to recall the extension name at home :)

18 years ago #

No, I don't mean the alt-text – I mean title title attribute. Alt-texts are only showing in IExplorer, and it's kind of broken in that sense (alt should only be shown when the image isn't displayed). But the title-attribute used to work before on Firefox, it must be a broken sub-release!

MattD [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

ouch, are you looking to test out gmails spam filters or something? :)

18 years ago #

I get spam, but not much (famous last words...)

Artem [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Philipp, do you think it would be reasonable to add a timestamp to the site? Something like: "The last post has been published at 12:42 pm" or "The last post has been published at 12 minutes ago". Maybe marking the first post time could also be useful.

I've got this idea after I published the post and.. my photo is not on the fortyfaces.com. I can only guess if the site stopped updates for a moment, if update hasn't happened yet or if so many people blogged, that I was not lucky enough to be among the last 40 bloggers.

Hmm.. taking into account the last option, counter saying "3 minutes till the page update" would probably get a lot of page refreshes around the update time (to make posting late enough and to have a photo posted).
Though I am not sure if you are interested in this kind of traffic :)

18 years ago #

Hmm. Interesting idea. Well, for now I can tell you – at the moment, the page is refreshed at *:20 and *:50 every hour. :)
It takes some minutes to build the page, so it can be 22 and 52 or so.

By the way, there are several reasons why your post doesn't show:
- The 30 minutes refresh didn't yet happen.
- You blogged more than 8 times this day.
- Your feed didn't load last time, or there was an XML error; in that case, my program will not check this feed for 4 hours to prevent my program from getting too slow.

18 years ago #

Ooops... Artem, it likely wasn't any of that. The page didn't refresh, I commented out a line this evening and forgot to put it back. It's working now!

shawn [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Hey Philip,

Have you done any kind of poll for people who post to fortyfaces.com to find out how they are using it? For example, how many people check fortyfaces.com before they post to their site? Some people have made comments about seeing the same photos multiple times but I've also seen the same headlines multiple times. Do you see any kind of editorial issues with this site? Just curious

18 years ago #

Shawn, can you email me which kind of headlines you saw multiple times?
The isse with the multiple faces has been fixed for some days now.
What do you mean with editorial issues? (I don't understand it, it's not that I don't think there could be any-- maybe there are!)

shawn [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Well, for example, I think a headline I saw a few times was:

And the fun never stops, Google Base Launched.

This is the kind of thing that I think might lead to editorial issues. Something else that comes to mind is that people will see the popularity of this site and start trying to flood the site with stuff that you might not want to be associated with. Just my two cents, it's a cool site and I hope it wouldn't be abused.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!