Google Blogoscoped

Forum

curiosity kill the cat?

Luca [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, April 10, 2008
16 years ago5,108 views

a friend paste (twit) me a link...

http://www.zetrax.com/

were you can search and listen "free" music...

effectively it works and the mechanism is so simple it use youtube as source and stream only the music!!!

i found this only looking in the http headers (firefox have a dedicated extension for this) and... bingo!

the domain is very new as reported by whois

domain: zetrax.com
   reg_created: 2008-03-31 09:04:15
   expires: 2009-03-31 09:04:15
   created: 2008-03-31 11:00:12
   changed: 2008-03-31 11:18:14
   ns0: ns21050.ovh.net
   ns1: ns.ovh.net
   transfer-prohibited: yes
   owner-c:
   owner-name: NOVELIOS
   organisation: NOVELIOS
   nic-hdl: FF61-GANDI
   person: Novelios Novelios
   address: 1bis rue d'Ouessant
   zipcode: 35762
   city: Saint-GrĂ©goire

question is: is legal to "rip" music from youtube videos?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

This is pretty inefficient, the audio quality is poor and the sound is not stereo.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I doubt Google would be very happy :-) But then are they happy with people like me using Zamzar to download the songs as MP3s anyway :P

Daniel J. Doughty [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I don't think it's too awful, but I'm not a huge fan of streaming music.

Plus, I'm not sure how they plan on eliminating things that are really interesting in video but sound like crap.

Dan

[Signature URL removed – Tony]

16 years ago #

Sorry you didn't like the signature URL. I should have read the rules. But you might find zetrax's behavior on twitter a bit questionable. I posted about it here: http://www.danieljdoughty.com/2008/04/10/zetrax-spams-me-on-twitter/#comments

I might be too new to twitter and maybe this is normal.

But when they hit me with a pingback that was an amalgamation of my last three posts, a common SEO technique, I really decided I don't like these guys.

Please let me know what you think.

Dan

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I like using iLike and Last.fm when listening to new music. Its a great way to listen to new singles by specific artists.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

If I am to listen to music I would pay for it, but I just HATE music, it annoys me.

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Tsk, tsk, no need to hate music even if it annoys you (help is at hand at the end of this sentence).
Back in late 20s famous Polish poet Julian Tuwim had this to say about one then-novel gadget (my paraphrase off leaky memory):

"Radio, what a great invention! One only needs to touch a button, and then it is silent again!"

Luca [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Zetrax home page are evolving very fast , in a day from morning to evening the add a "top queries" section and (finally) a contact link on the bottom (2008 ZeTrax | contact[at]zetrax.com) so i can try to contact them due the "twitter" contact is very poor and spammed by all the serch queries.
i still continue to think that using the youtube video as music source is not on the rule term of utilisation of youtube....

otherwise they are not asking for money (yet)

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

http://www.pandora.com is probably the best internet radio/streaming music website. You create a playlist by entering an artist, and then it gives you other songs/artists that are the same kind of music.

16 years ago #

yeah, pandora is pretty good. it has commercials now, but the recommendations are pretty nice.

Luca [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I was initally using pandora , but now is filtered for Non US residents.

i found in jango.com the alternative , + a "social" way to share music / interests.

it's simple, it's easy , it works....

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!