Google Blogoscoped

Forum

AOL Uninstall Tutorial

Phillip Thorne [PersonRank 0]

Sunday, April 13, 2008
16 years ago3,052 views

Use windows search to search for 'All files and folders' and type 'AOL', click the 'More advanced options' and check the boxes for, 'Search system folders / Search hidden files and folders / Search subfolders'.
Click 'Search'
There will be many files located and it is possible that not all of them will be for AOL although all of mine were as 'aol' is not a common set of letters that go together. Example: If you have a file called 'Lambada old.mpg' which is a video file you downloaded, it will also be displayed in the search results because your computer will see the letters 'LambadA OLd.mpg'. Obviously you don't want to delete that interesting sounding example!
If you are unsure hold your mouse pointer over the location text, 'i.e. C:/documents and settings/Ow...' until the full location is displayed, 'C:/documents and settings/Owner/My Videos/Lambada old.mpg'.
Once you know all of the files that you want to keep, right click each one of the determined AOL files and delete them. There are many I know but using 'select all' and 'delete' will not work easily in this case as you will be left with five or so files that you can't delete and it will stop the deleting process.
Once you have done this you will see a few folders left that you can't delete and a few system files (I forget their names, sorry but it doesn't matter it will be obvious enough as the system file will be displayed with an unidentified type icon.
There is one file that you will need to go to manually and that’s, ‘Recent Documents’. Follow the address bar and open the file. Delete any shortcuts / files inside.
Press 'Control / Alt / Delete' together until the 'Windows task manager is displayed', Click 'Processes' and look for the system file you found in search and were unable to delete.
IGNORE ANY OTHER AOL PROCESS SUCH AS 'AOLSOFTWARE.EXE' FOR PRESENT.
Left click the system file once, and then click, ‘End Process’. A dialog box will appear with a warning about ending the process, just click, ‘Yes’.
Now you can do the same for any other AOL process. When you have done, check to make sure that none of the AOL processes have restarted.
Hopefully if all has gone well you can now delete the rest of the found AOL files.
Now perform the search again as described earlier and any AOL file should be located in the ‘Recycle Bin’.
Go to ‘Control Panel, Click ‘Add / Remove Programs’ and click the AOL entry. You should be told that there is an error and would you like to remove it from the list, click ‘Yes’.
Reboot your computer. If all is OK and you get no errors then empty your recycle bin and your done!
Hope this has been of some help to you.
Sparkyuiop.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!