Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Blogoscoped.com Suggestions

drtimofey [PersonRank 10]

Friday, April 18, 2008
16 years ago33,602 views

I thought it would be cool to open a thread, where we can all suggest something for this website. And maybe if Philipp stumbles across, it'll get noticed.

Ok, I'll take the dive first...
It would be great to be able to password protect our accounts. Perhaps add OpenID.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

it would be an idea, but i like the way its open and easy, no registration, but maybe if you could CHOOSE to protect your account if you're a regular...

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

This forum works wonderfully without passwords. It was one of the reasons that I started posting here. I suppose there's that feeling of trust between members.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]James
Having the _option_ to password your "Account" could be a good idea. But personally, I wouldn't

Luka [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I wouldn't too.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Cool, I'll read along... also, not only listing suggestions but listing problems is welcome, who knows, if you name the problem (like "I want to do X on Blogoscoped but can't...") it might lead to a solution later on.

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[...]

Openness is one of the biggest reason of success of GB.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It's been a long time since I threw the idea out there so I'll try it again....it'd be cool to have a link to our profile page if our user cookie is recognized, so you can easily get there and see what threads you recently posted in. Currently you can only get to this page by clicking on your name in one of your previous thread posts, so this can require some digging to get the link.

On a related note, it'd be cool (but this would be complicated/intensive) if you could track replies in threads you posted in to make it easier to follow a discussion and reply back when somebody replies.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It would be great that the whole thread is available in RSS and not only the first post. I read this forum via Google Reader and I'm sure I miss some great things in here... :(

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I feel this no password is cool. I like it. Almost all peoples here are reals, talk to each other. It like real. Do you talk to your real friend, you friend first ask the password.

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I like the idea of OpenID integration, but also not having passwords. It makes it easier to post.

Having every thread as an feed would get messy, wouldn't it? What's wrong with forum trolling?

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I wouldn't mind passwords, because they could make better profile pages possible, for example in my case my name is extremely common, so the first result on google which listed on my profile page is not about me...

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Ben Allen, if you don't have time to troll the forums or you want a response to some question you posted, having new messages pushed to you (i.e. via a specific thread feed) would be much better.

It isn't any messier having a feed for each thread than having a page for each thread (as there is now), since infrequently accessed threads could have a dynamically generated feed and more recent and/or active threads could have feeds that are cached snapshots of a thread.

But like I mentioned, there's quite a bit of work involved in implementing any of those solutions, unless there's heavy parallels between caching of a thread feed and caching of a thread page.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think it would be great to have images in forum posts cached on the blogoscoped server so that a few months from now when we want to look back at past posts they aren't full of broken images. This would be a great way to keep screenshots alive over the long haul.

Also, one thing I notice sometimes is the search functionality doesn't seem to find the past posts that you know were on Blogoscoped. I know you were looking into doing some Database/Google site search tweaks but I don't know if you finished those or not.

As for passwords on accounts, I don't think they are truly necessary.

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

one important feature is to allow editing posts for a small period let say 5 minutes after posting or you can edit your posts while it is the last one ... so that you can add any corrections

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I second this.. :)

"I think it would be great to have images in forum posts cached on the blogoscoped server so that a few months from now when we want to look back at past posts they aren't full of broken images. This would be a great way to keep screenshots alive over the long haul."

james Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yeah but too muxh bandwidth

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It would be nice for small images to be shown at the correct size instead of enlarged to the default width.

But I understand the reason for the current behaviour: simplicity and elegance of implementation.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Kk then how about....

You don't need to login to post, but you have the option to force login. Also logging in allows you to edit posts, profile etc. and choose other options such as Image size and storage. Also Private Messaging.

Just an idea combining what most people are saying, I don't feel Philip should implement it as it would probably be a lot of work.

And personally I probably wouldn't use many of these features, but other people seem to like them.

drtimofey [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I agree with Bilal regarding the post editing.

It would also be nice to expand the Help/Rules page, add a place where newbies can ask questions, and put it somewhere where people can find it.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Just to jump in with a couple of technical thoughts.

Not resizing smaller images makes sense. I believe I tried something more advanced than the current simple stylesheet resizing but then ran into troubles with Opera. I'll try again.

Copying images onto this server for archiving purposes makes much sense from an archive perspective, but poses some trouble in terms of copyright and so on. Of course, hotlinking too poses some interesting questions in terms of that. But it's proabably a little less problematic than a full copy... hmm. I gotta keep this in mind.

As far as a "real" protected log-in goes, I'll keep that in mind for the future but right now, I feel that maybe more features based on the "simple" log-in could work... like a link to your posts or replies to your posts when you're "logged in", as has been suggested by Niraj.

And yes, Colin is right, the forum/ blog search still needs to be updated. Now that Google releases a server-side REST API... I can once again switch away from the AJAX client-side API. I prefer server-side stuff to JavaScript most of the time unless it's necessary to be in JavaScript. On the server-side I can then apply different search stuff easily, like mergin a database result with a Google web-based result.

Tony and I continue to read along, thanks so far!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!