Google Blogoscoped

Forum

PWA -> Google Photos?

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

Friday, April 25, 2008
16 years ago5,846 views

The subject on the PWA alert email has just changed to "New Google Photos Activity". As you can see it said Picasa Web Albums on the previous message (21st April, 4 days ago)

The Sender still says PWA, and all references inside the email says PWA :-/
http://cheesemonger32.googlepages.com/gPhotos.PNG

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

in the top screen Google's bar, the link to Picasaweb is already labeled "Photos". But it is maybe a sign that they will rename this service soon...

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yeah..
This move must have happened sooner or later..

Writely -> Google Docs.
Picasa -> Google Photos.
(and of course other services)

I wonder what will be the next service..

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Picasa Web has been all but synonymous with Google Photos, down to the point where photos.google.com redirect to Picasa Web.

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Google Photos is very similar to Google Images. I don't know if that's a good decision.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

And to make things even more confusing, Google Video is now both a search engine and a video sharing site. Maybe Google Photo Albums would be a better name than just Google Photos.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

And given that you can also upload video and other non-photographic images to Picasa Web Albums, maybe "Google Image and Video Albums" would be better.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

From at least a UK standpoint, I don't see any problem with it being called Picasa. Yes, PWA is quite a long title, but the fact that it's not "Google" surely isn't a big issue?

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Same here.. :)

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Analysis of Names
-------------------------

"Picasa Web Albums"
Picasa has "Albums" of Photos and Videos so people upload them to their "Web Albums"

"Google Photos"
An Image search engine that ignores cartoons?

"Google Photo Albums"
Photo Albums Hosted by Google

hmmm I guess PWA or GPA would be the best or if you want to be silly "Google Picasa Web Photo and Video Albums" is totally inclusive :-D

Conclusion – keep it as PWA!

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I personally like GPWPVA

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

What about moving Picasa online and renaming Picasa Web Albums to... Picasa?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

You'll still need an offline version. A software is better than a Google Online Apps + Google Gears. You can't imagine how many people are using Picasa without using Picasa Web Albums. I suppose that they don't want to see their photos online, even if the album is 'private', because it is still too insecure for them.

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Blurring the distinction between the search of publicly available images and the location to upload and share personal photos could be a calculated move, in order to socialize the "information on the internet is public information" concept.

I hardly expect that the reasoning is that insidious – the choice (if it has been made) has probably been made with reasons like "maintaining the Google brand consistency" and "keeping it simple and accessible."

Think there'll be a convergence between Google Desktop and the Picassa client (common database?) Or is there a gadget that already does this?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!