Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Just Got My G-Mail Invite

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, April 30, 2008
16 years ago2,566 views

... and they even added 50 G-cents to my account!

OK, I probably need to explain. G-Mail is a communication service in Germany and Switzerland which owns the G-Mail trademark and successfully sued Google out of using Gmail as name here (hence I see a "Google Mail" logo when I log-in to Gmail from Germany). Here's the description from an earlier post:

<<With hybrid communication, G-mail intends to allow others to contact you in a variety of ways, like by fax, snail mail, or electronic mail, and they will then "channel" this message and output it into any other medium, as you prefer. For example, someone in the city of Hamburg can send off a message to Munich. The message will be entered electronically, then transmitted electronically, and then printed out in Munich and transported to the Munich recipient via a local courier service. As a bonus, you’ll even be able to collect a micropayment commission from the price the sender paid...>>

However, they ask you to fill out a printed PDF with lots of details (like phone number), and to include a scanned copy of both sides of your ID card, and then snail mail it to them to Berlin... which sounds like too much hassle (including privacy hassle). I guess I'll pass... even though it would apparently get me "philipp.Lenssen[put at-character here]gmail.de"...

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I got one too.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Is it worth all this trouble? :/
Why do they need all these details in order to give you an email account?

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

So now you forward all yous gmail.de mails to google account ?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

BTW, gmail.fr is owned by Google, redirects to Gmail, but mails sent to @gmail.fr doesn't seem to be redirected to @gmail.com :-/

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I wonder what's up with http://gmail.it .

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> Why do they need all these details in order to give you
> an email account?

G-mail.de is supposed to be much more than an email account; they also wrap fax, snail mail etc. for you (see above).

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

That firm from Hamburg has got G-mail in its logo:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/169/375247841_2e65c1fc76_o.png

g-mail.de is owned by Google

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!