Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[OT] NIN NEW Album Absolutely Free in HD!!!

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

Monday, May 5, 2008
16 years ago4,255 views

Trent Reznor's new album – "The Slip" is available AT NO COST! This comes sfter the last "Multiple Options" distribution he used for "Ghosts O-IV"

Just go to http://dl.nin.com/theslip/signup and give your email address and chose whether to download in MP3, FLAC (Danny!), Wave 24/96 or M4A.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Cool!

I've heard Coldplay did the same thing.. (But i'm not so sure. I may be wrong..)

destino26 [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Yes, Coldplay did the same thing but for just 1 song... and for a week. You're just in time. Go to coldplay site.

16 years ago #

Radiohead had a "Pay what you want" scheme, and CSS have released 1 song for free from their unreleased album-Donkey at CSShurts.com

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I downloaded this earlier today but didn't listen to it yet. If this would be a formerly unknown band releasing an album for free I suspect not many people would have heard of this. For Nine Inch Nails I suppose it could make them even more known...

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

in HD?..

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Thank you James, David and destino26!

In the past week my Hotmail account has been more active than it has the whole of the time since I got my Gmail account :-D

I don't have any free legal music links, but if you want GTA , GTA2 or Wild Metal for free, Rockstar let you download (modified versions of) them legally on their website*
http://rockstargames.com/classics/
(The downloads have been there since 2004, but I've only just found them)

*I expect that the usual age limits apply

16 years ago #

Yeah, the GTA downloads are pretty old.. :/
But thanks anyway :)

By the way, some bands let you download specific songs on MySpace and Facebook. So if you can't find a song on the net (legally) you might be able to download it (or at least listen to it) on MySpace and Facebook.
But i guess you all know that, and i'm not telling you anything new. :P

16 years ago #

Or, if you're in the EU you can just pirate them anyway

16 years ago #

BTW I never knew the GTA yoke, got it thanks!

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I wonder why NIN makes you sign up by email. They have released the music under Creative Commons, so there's nothing stopping others from hosting the same music for download without signup.

Another band with a totally free no-catches album is Harvey Danger with "Little by Little", which includes a couple of quite decent tracks:
http://harveydanger.com/downloads/

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

They Lossless downloads are all torrents. I'm not sure why they're collecting emails. This could be an experiment

16 years ago #

Newsletter maybe ? :/

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]David: The signup page says they're not going to spam you, and I would consider an unsolicited newsletter to be spam.

Possibly they're comparing stats against their previous "pay what you want" deal. They may want to find out whether the people who download for free are the same people as those who will pay when that's an available option.

16 years ago #

So by that they wanna see wheter it's a spammer or not by its address.

Now i got it :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!