Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Romans Spotted Fleeing Google Street View Cars  (View post)

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

Monday, May 12, 2008
16 years ago6,677 views

omg..

Jan [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I hope Google realizes that's illegal in the EU to uses people's pictures without their consent.

christian [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

http://www.portel.it/news/cronaca/04-2008/google-street-view-o-paginegialle-street-level-ecco-la-prova-foto-a-milano.html

we have so far spotted the same car in Milano as well....

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> I hope Google realizes that's illegal in the EU to
> uses people's pictures without their consent.

Germany is part of the EU but here you are allowed to publish a picture of a person if the person is not the main focus but just something on the side, e.g. in a group* – though inhowfar that law applies to Google Street View is unclear as you can pick any zoom and crop you like with their panorama photos, so whether the person is part of a group or the focus of a picture is not clearly defined it seems.

*I'm not a lawyer but that's what a lawyer told me.

Alex Little [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I'm not a lawyer either, but from this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/05/google_street_view_legality_in_europe/ it appears the law varies across the EU.
My issue would be the fact that you'd need to know they'd taken the picture in order to email Google to have it removed, by the time you know about it, any damage may already be done.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I don't know what the official situation about pictures of public places is in the UK, but a friend of mine got stopped by the police because he had taken a picture of a street with people in it. Just a bit over the top :-D

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

What would a "robots.txt" look like for Google Street View cars? Webmasters can opt out of their servers being scanned, even when they make content public – what about people, people's houses, people's cars etc...?

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I guess a special sticker you would have on your clothes and which would be recognized by the System.

So Paris, Milan, Rome .. What's next ?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Grenoble, Lille, Toulouse, Aix-en-Provence, Marseille, Versailles, ... :)

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Nooooooo! :-p

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Read Zorgloob, we have pictures ;)
I'm sure you speak French, so you HAVE to read it ;)

Marcin Sochacki (Wanted) [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I was thinking – maybe Google could employ their face recognition technology to pixelize peoples' faces in EU, just to have at least some protection against possible lawsuits (even if they think such pictures are legal in public places).

George R [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

http://juliopreuss.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/googlevan.jpg

Marc Savoy [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

So a group of Romans can be forgiven on Wednesday afternoon for assuming the worst when a black car sporting a massive, rotating video camera, slowly drove...
LOL......They're here......And It's a Cookbook!

Satan [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

That's sweet, George R!

Does anyone know if Google cars have been trolling around Paris, yet?

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yup they have, just have a look higher in the thread.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> I was thinking – maybe Google could employ their face
> recognition technology to pixelize peoples' faces in EU,

Looks like they might end up doing that...

<< We're also taking this opportunity to test our new face-blurring technology on the busy streets of Manhattan. This effort has been a year in the making – working at Street View-scale is a tough challenge that required us to advance state-of-the-art automatic face detection, and we continue working hard to improve it as we roll it out for our existing and future imagery. Here are just a couple examples from the bustling streets of Manhattan: >>

http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2008/05/street-view-revisits-manhattan.html

bwaje [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Yes, spotted two black Opel Corsas with the pole on the roof this week in Paris...!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!