Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Grandcentral Domain Expired

dualsub2006 [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, May 21, 2008
16 years ago2,925 views

Yep, Google let the GrandCentral.com domain expire today. Either very stupid or they just don't need it any more.

http://whois.domaintools.com/grandcentral.com

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Woah! What the heck? They better be releasing GrandCentral 2.0 tomorrow, or else.

16 years ago #

For users of the service (like me), you can still access GrandCentral here:

http://216.239.37.52/

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

That's really strange!!! :/

Nice solution though Jared.. :)

16 years ago #

Nevermind, I'm unable to login because it keeps routing to GrandCentral.com

dualsub2006 [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

This is really low rent on Google's part. I have been a user for a year or so now and I have accepted all of the issues that the service has had in that time. The outages, the lost messages that were coming back and then they weren't and all of that.

This one takes the cake to me. GC has seemed like the bastard stepchild since Google bought them and NOW the person in charge of renewing domains at Google FORGOT about the GC domain???

I'm pretty fed up with all of the crap and I think I am just going to stop using the service. I pretty well moved the contacts that had my GC back to my cell number after the Sunday outage a few weeks ago. I will move everyone else back to it now. If Google is going to give up on GC like this I am not going to be sitting on the thick end of the stick when they pull the plug for good.

George R [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Try adding the following line to your "hosts" file.

216.239.37.52 grandcentral.com

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It works fine for me.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

All is under control:
   Record last updated on 21-May-2008.
   Record expires on 20-May-2009.

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Does that mean they forgot to renew the domain or after letting it expire they realized that old customers might be needing it

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!