Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Better chat for blogoscoped

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, May 22, 2008
16 years ago3,854 views

I don't think anybody uses this ever http://blogoscoped.com/chat/

Why don't we set up an irc channel or jabber chartoom?

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Please not irc, i can never understand how to use it :D

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I like IRC, and Mibbit can be used to embed it to the site but i'm perfectly fine with Jabber too

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

DPic, the chat was previously more prominently included in the navigation and also had a status information like "Chat (2)" to indicate two persons were in it. I think if it is more prominently displayed it can also be more used. However, there was the big hurdle that this kind of split the conversation into two places: the forum and the chat room. This became obvious especially during one live blogging event of the past where none of us was quite sure whether to comment in the forum or in the chat, and the forum turned out to be quite OK for somethi chat-like in the live blogging context. If you guys have other ideas or want to use the chat room more frequently of course let's see how this evolves...

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Philipp, I can understand your argument about splitting the discussion, but chat is chat and much less formal and can be about much more off-topic discussion. I am a member of the Ubuntu Massachusetts Local community Team and we have a forum, mailing list, and irc channel and we do just fine.

I would really like to see an irc channel or jabber chatroom because the thing that you have now (no offense) feels kind of silly

16 years ago #

No offense taken :)
It is a different kind of chat for sure. I actually experimented with including a Java client for IRC but some ports were blocked at my office back then, that prevented it from working. These days, one could well use the Google App Engine and some Ajax...

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Mibbit is good for embedded irc. Here's an example http://embed.mibbit.com/e/example.html

I'm not sure about anything like that for an XMPP chat room though

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]James: IRC is not that difficult! You pick a server, a nick, and when you have connected to a server then you choose a chatroom. In MSN or GTalk, you connect to a single network (can't choose a server), and instead of a chatroom you have only contacts (you choose with who you want to talk). IRC is more "group chat" oriented, I think.

16 years ago #

I tried it once and i hadn't a clue what was going on :D

16 years ago #

James, if on Windows try Mirc and then jump to e.g. the Undernet servers, where you can find a variety of rooms...
http://www.mirc.com/get.html

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I used to be a XiRCON adherent, but that was a little while ago, when there was still a possibility of continued development. These days I've not found a client that I like – but I think that's in part because I've not got that much interest in open group chats.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Am i the only one that wants a chat room? I feel like discussion in a chat room brings the members of Blogoscoped closer together since it's even more casual and we wouldn't really have personal discussions on a forum. This is just from my experience with this stuff

16 years ago #

I too hae called for a chat room in the past, but couldn't we maybe just use GTAlk? Every country has its own favourite client, but we all have GTalk installed.

Then again, that would be too awkward, and judging from other sites integrated chat does a good job, but it's also hard to manage, and you get people typing nonsense in. We would probably have to register too to get our own Nicks, otherwise we'd just be <Guest405873> which takes away from blogoscoped's easiness...don't you think

Maybe if we could find a Really Good provider...

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The chat at the moment looks nice and is a good idea, but it's not the kind of thing that I'd want to use regularly.

I'm on this site too much already, a new chat would keep me on here for longer, not that I'm complaining ;-)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

>>couldn't we maybe just use GTAlk?

A jabber chat room hosted on blogoscoped could be accessed from your chat client and i'm not sure how to embed it but i'm sure it could be done

16 years ago #

ok COOL! WELL I'M ABORD THEN

16 years ago #

Sorry, Caps...was entering CD Key

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Philipp, what do you think?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!