Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google gets too fancy with I/O shirts  (View post)

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, May 29, 2008
16 years ago5,000 views

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/05/28/google-gets-fancy-with-google-io-tshirts-too-fancy/

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Maybe there's an explanation behind all this... :/

Above 2 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Yannick [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

http://androidcommunity.com/first-live-images-of-fullscreen-android-demo-20080528/

a series of must see videos.... amazing:) I especially like the drag down of the top bar... and there is no need to say how cool the compass is

Bill Mac [PersonRank 9]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]David <<Maybe there's an explanation behind all this... :/>>

Maybe it IS supposed to say Google KO, because Google I/O has been a knock out.

I am also at Google I/O. I left my t-shirt at the hotel room, but I'm definitely going to check when I get a chance.

Last night, Google held a really awesome party called After Hours. All kinds of great food and drinks, as well as actual arcade games, pool tables and Nintendo Wiis. All free, of course (to use, not to take home, unfortunately). However, easily the highlight of the night was the awesome show put on by the Flight of the Conchords. I wish I could better recall some of their exchanges on stage--quite hurmous, with the occasional good-natured jab at Google's culture. Well done all around.

There are only two of us here from our company, so we're not able to go to all the ones we're interested in (i.e., all 90+). I'm looking forward to Google posting the videos online of the sessions we missed. Now I'm off to breakfast at the Moscone Center, where I'm sure I'll be delighted by Google's efforts once again.

Franta Hejl [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

It would be really nice if the compass was available for the classic google maps view too. So if you are out in the streets with Android and you turn around, the map would turn around too so what is in front of you in reality is always in front of you in the map.

Tim Broder [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

wish I was there...

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Franta Hejl: You can make you own map-based Android apps, and you can rotate the screen without too much drama. Shouldn't take too much work to knock something like that up :)

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Is that Philipp or Brian Ussery who speaks in tongues of "[...] Google Android’s “compass view” feature where the users’ movement change with the perspective on their screen all in real time [...]" ?
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2008-05-29-n63.html

.... because, if decoded acc. to semantic rules of the English language, that would mean that changes in perspective view on Android screen will somehow AFFECT the movement of phone user(s). TELL US EVERYTHING.

[ Mind you, I wouldn't put it past Google to make a grab at that wholly-new market segment, Remotely-Controlled UserKinesis™ or something, but, if that's the case, I want them to do it above board, and publish at least rudimentary details of that API during beta, and not introduce it in such an offhand, undignified manner!]

Yannick [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Franta Hejl:

I am sure the compass will also exist in the traditional google maps... after it's been implemented in street view, it shouldn't be much more difficult to get it in the other one

beussery [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Ianf
Sorry if I wasn't clear! When the user moves his/her phone, the user's on screen perspective moves to match the position of the device.

beussery [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Brinke
he...he...he great "Easter Egg" huh?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think this "mistake" has been made voluntarily by Google marketing, in order to leave something "fun" for bloggers to blog about Google I/O...

beussery [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think you hit the nail on the head so to speak TOMHTML.

beussery [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

here is some additional video I took while at Google I/O:
beussery.com/IO2008/androidIO2008.mp4
beussery.com/IO2008/appengineIO2008.mp4
beussery.com/IO2008/myspaceIO2008.mp4
beussery.com/IO2008/androidIO.mp4
beussery.com/IO2008/keynoteIO2008.mp4

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!