Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Analytics won't pass Status

Jerry [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, November 17, 2005
18 years ago

I can't get past the status checks. We have 4 different sites and I've placed the tracking codes from the different sites in the index page of each one.

At the bottom, between the Head and anything else I could think of. I even tryed to make it the ONLY thing on the index page between the Head statements and it still doesn't work.

Is the Tracking Code there showing correct??

The Google Analytics tracking code has not been detected on your website's home page.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Mine took a couple of days for the first results to show. now it updates frequently. Sorry yours doesn't seem to work.
Just to clarify is this the error your getting?

"The Google Analytics tracking code has not been
   detected on your website’s home page."

Have you been in contact with the analytics team? I got a really fast response from them.

On a side note, does anyone think the map overlay could be much better and clearer? would be good if the used Google maps, with easy zooming and panning (at current it only uses the built in flash zoom function, which is not adequate)

What do people think?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

DP, I thought the same. I find some of the charts and maps too small. Google Maps is the full-screen DHTML approach, Google Analytics is the "box in the box" approach.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I just thought I'd point something out regarding the installation of the tracking code...

Yesterday I setup a new profile and added the tracking code to several pages on a few subdomains – but without adding the code to the home page. Today I got some stats through.

Google Analytics had no record of the URLs where the code was placed – and to see the code, you have to do either a form GET or POST to the pages in question.

It seems that to verify your code is installed correctly, they simply sit back and wait for some stats to come in.

So, this is my advice: if you've installed the code as Google Analytics says (and you're *sure* it's installed correctly) but you're still seeing the "tracking code has not been detected..." message, just be patient. It may take 6 to 12 hours to detect that your code is installed.

(I emailed them yesterday to ask if this is how it's done but I'm yet to get a response.)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

That's another good tip on Google Analytics: visit your own pages once to speed up Google's tracking. I'm currently compiling a list of Analytics tips for a new post.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!