Forum

How Do You Pause a YouTube Video...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Monday, June 2, 2008
16 years ago15,781 views

... when the video is buffering?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

You just click the pause button and it keeps buffering don't you?

Or maybe I don't understand the question.

16 years ago #

When it buffers, there is no pause button, only a play button (at least that's often the case).

http://blogoscoped.com/files/youtube-no-pause.jpg

16 years ago #

Ah right. That looks like the video hasn't even started buffering yet. Like it's still loading the FLV file. Once it starts buffering, it starts playing and you can pause it.

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I wait for a few seconds and let the video load a bit
as soon as it loads I hit the play/pause button to pause playing and continue buffering. Same method can be used for non-youtube videos also

I'm now very used to it as streaming is not very fast on my home connection.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I use a similar method like Rohit uses..
I hit the play button and then hit it again. (just when the page finish loading)
Then, the video loads yet paused.

But you're right, this thing is really tricky.. Google should do something about this.

(Maybe add a stop button that will let it buffer at the same time.)

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

They can add an option in users accounts to enable/disable autoplay. The player is YouTube's weakest point!

16 years ago #

I don't want to necessarily disable auto playing when I visit a YouTube page. I just often want to open the page, immediately pause it, wait till it finished loading in the background (as I don't like the video to be interrupted in-between, which would otherwise often happen), and then switch to another browser window to do something else in the meantime...

16 years ago #

So how is it different than disabling the player's auto play?

BTW:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/12008

16 years ago #

> So how is it different than disabling the player's auto play?

Disabling auto-play is not what I want, at least not always – I want the ability to pause the video whenever I prefer, when it is buffering. However, when it buffers (at least many times – not sure about the YouTube player) it turns into a play button and I cannot click pause. Also, it's not only during the start of a video – it also sometimes happens in-between a video, when it is already playing. The video will pause, continue buffering, but then display a play button and not a pause button for that buffering time... so I cannot pause and just switch the window (because it would then automatically resume playing, but I may want to prefer to now fully load it in the background first). The solution right now is to always wait some seconds to have it resume, then press pause, but that isn't great usability.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

does not pause , actually stop the buffering process too ??

16 years ago #

Philipp,
Try to contact YouTube and see what they reply.

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Peter;
You mean the script?

16 years ago #

> does not pause , actually stop the buffering process too ??

Not usually. Not for me, at least.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I do like Rohit
but a good way SHOULD be to press the "escape" key, or the "Stop" button of your browser. In fact, browsers aren't able to handle this action correctly (as IE, as Firefox).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!