Google Blogoscoped

Forum

YouTube Adds Video Interaction, Annotations (While Google Video Upload Is Broken)  (View post)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, June 4, 2008
16 years ago5,064 views

Wow that shell game is TIGHT!

Mike [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Blogger and Picasa Web Albums uploading and hosting of videos also use Google Video, is it broken like the main page Google Video?

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think the annotations can be a great thing for certain types of videos. I just hope they don't distract too much from the content of videos.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

This sounds so much like the notes in flickr. As long as they do not let visitors or friends add notes too, it will work very nice.

David [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Here's a good how-to video on YouTube Annotations http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXtwUrKwK3g

[URL fixed, although I'm not seeing annotations on embedded videos – Tony]

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yeah, it looks like annotations don't work in the embedded player...that doesn't make a lot of sense if people are trying to use them to add interactivity or information.

macbeach [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

I've always preferred Google Video. Aren't there limits to the length for Youtube videos? I hope they don't dump GV in favor of Youtube.

David [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Embedded videos currently do not support annotations. Only videos directly on YouTube. ;)

Woland [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

what's that video cassette that can be seen in the youtube player embedded in the google video homepage?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

In my Firefox 3, no YouTube video from Google Video's homepage can be played. Google Video shows a non-functional YouTube player for playlists.

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Hmmm, tests with the current FF2.x available?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> In my Firefox 3, no YouTube video from Google Video's
> homepage can be played.

Same here. Though I guess until FF3 is "final" final, they might not be interested in fixing it...

Satan [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

I miss Google Video. Such lost potential...

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

What do you miss about Google Video?

Satan [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

I misspoke myself; I don't "miss" Google Video. Rather, I just find it sad that Google is depreciating a fine service because of another equally cool but significantly different service (YouTube). Why not develop both of their strengths simultaneously or combine them into one service? Well, the latter is probably not feasible because of branding issues, but the former...

GVideo hosts LONG videos! I love the numerous documentary videos available. In fact, I became aware of many of them through a post in your blog, Ionut!

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Thanks for sharing FF3.x experience to FF2.x and non-Mozilla users too;)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!