Wednesday, June 4, 2008
16 years ago10,886 views

Undo will be so helpful

Scott Moonen [PersonRank 2]

16 years ago #

It's the 21st-century Etch-a-Sketch!

Scott Moonen [PersonRank 2]

16 years ago #

Well, more like an Etch-a-Sketch plus Spirograph mash-up. Very cool, Philipp.

Franta Hejl [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

It looks very enjoying and innovative, but it's unfortunately terribly slow for me (1.66 GHz, FF 3)

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Very nice Philipp! I liked it :)
Someone digged it?

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

A very nice site ;)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Franta, sorry.... what is your operating system?

Chirs [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Totally addicting...

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Way to go Philipp :D

Luka [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Nice on Safari and FF3 :)

Jim McNelis [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

at first i was like "what is this crap?" then i played for a minute and got really into it. I passed it on to a few friends. I'm impressed with the designs you can make from this.

Good work!

David H [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Works great in Opera too (at least 9.5). Cool stuff Philipp!

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Etch-a-sketch? Spirograph? Designs? Need for "undo"? Not here.

I can get various kinds of molecules moving around, but they don't leave trails or create designs. Am I missing something? (Firefox 2, Linux).

Also, it's very slow on a 3.2GHz Pentium with 1GB ram (takes about 5 seconds to register a button click).

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think this is pretty brillant. Great work!

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I made so many great wallpapers! I love it! If only you could save in higher resolutions...

I found no lag, (2.4GHz Athalon 64x2, 4GB ram) but thats probably why

16 years ago #

BTW where did you come up with Bomomo? Reminds me of NTT DoCoMo.

NTT DoCoMo!!! The leading Cell Phone provider!!! Buy Now! Pun, Pun, Pun! SLOGAN!!! Witticism! Pun! Price with swirly red background!

Motti [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Roger Browne: it should leave trails when you hold down the mouse button.

Philipp: Very cool! You should look at the Processing language (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processing_(programming_language) ) a visualisation language that John Resig (of JQuery fame) has recently ported to Javscript, also using Canvas, see http://ejohn.org/blog/processingjs/. Using his processing.js library you can probably write this sort of tool with half the effort and easily save state to maintain a undo/redo stack.

DaveB [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

"Etch-a-sketch? Spirograph? Designs? Need for "undo"? Not here.

I can get various kinds of molecules moving around, but they don't leave trails or create designs. Am I missing something?"

Ditto?

16 years ago #

DaveB, which operating system and browser do you use?

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The thing that's really cool for me is that you can do things like that without flash :)

Chouser [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Unusably slow for me on FF3 for linux. I suspect it's the "linux" part that kills it, as FF has had much slower graphics on linux than on windows for quite a while. Some sites actually run faster in FF in a Windows VM on Linux, than in FF directly on Linux!

DaveB [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

"DaveB, which operating system and browser do you use?"

WinXP, FF2

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Cool site.
Bit slow here, but then my PC's useless anyway (Getting cheap replacement tomorrow :-P)

Suggestion: Choice of background colour?

Benjamin [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Would be nice to export this as SVG or EPS to create some vector graphics for images :)

Jarred [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Philip, we're going to run a little contest for most creative designs over at Tropophilia, I'll throw the link here shortly. Great app!

http://tropophilia.com

16 years ago #

> Unusably slow for me on FF3 for linux.

Works fine for me both on Mac OS X and Linux Ubuntu (both Firefox 3)...

Jarred [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Having fun with Bomomo? Submit your best designs to us in the competition we're running over at Tropophilia!

http://tropophilia.com/2008/06/04/bomomo-yo/

Look forward to seeing some of your entries!

SimplyAUser [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I tried to use this website and I think it can quickly create logos

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Wow that is pretty cool Philipp!! How much time did it take to make that? How did you come up with the name?

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Saving the image seems to blur it. I've ended up taking screen shots (after switching to the second tool on the bottom row) then editing the circles out.
Would it be possible to save in anything other than .jpg?

[put at-character here]Chouser
I Dual boot XP SP3 and Ubuntu 8.04 and Bomomo runs *A LOT* faster in Ubuntu. Guess it depends on your distro. :-/

XP – FF3rc1
Ubuntu – FF3b5

16 years ago #

> Would it be possible to save in anything other than .jpg?

You are right, this is an issue. Saving as PNG is possible in Canvas and results in perfect quality, but I noticed the file size gets too big unfortunately for some images... e.g. over 500 K or something (which will take double the time as the pic gets uploaded first and then downloaded again). And while it is possible to right-click a Canvas layer in Firefox to save as PNG, which would mean there's no download time as it's already on your machine, there are two problems with that; it's not self-explanatory to right click the layer, and in the case of Bomomo, actually I'm using two layers and the main picture layer is below the movement layer...

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

great work!

you may want to do some implementation using Emil's Chronicle's "Canvas for IE".

http://me.eae.net/archive/2005/12/29/canvas-in-ie/

16 years ago #

Josue thanks, I tried that, but in my tests it was much too slow for animation, unfortunately. Perhaps it's connected to the canvas size, or the fact I'm drawing permanent things on the canvas, but just after some seconds it gets slower and slower and becomes unusable. If anyone has any help in this regards it would be very cool...

Olaf [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Very nice. Runs smoothly on Ubuntu 7.10, Firefox 3.0a8 (T2400[put at-character here]1.83GHz).

Ck [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

nicely done.

Freiddie [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

I had no idea I could click on it. I just thought they were a bunch of floaties that love my cursor. Implemented in Java?

chuff [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Doesn't work on FF 2.0.0.5 under Sparc Solaris. Maybe I need a newer FF?

Works great under FF 2.0.0.14 on MS win.

Bill Mac [PersonRank 9]

16 years ago #

Philipp, this is very cool. Well done. I am off to change my name to Jackson "I throw Pollock.

Pamela Fox [PersonRank 2]

16 years ago #

Omg, so many memories of KidPix come flowing back to me.

4 stars! Would love a bit more control, however.

p.s. Also reminds me of ZBrush

16 years ago #

> And while it is possible to right-click
> a Canvas layer in Firefox to save as PNG

Is there no way to access the PNG image with JavaScript and display it to the user locally, without involving server, when one clicks the "save" button?

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It's like Speed Racer in a bottle!

Satish Surath [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Its surprisingly responsive on my 1.6 Pentium M Processor...
Using Win XP SP2 and FF 2.0.0.12.

Philipp Lenssen -
"Josue thanks, I tried that, but in my tests it was much too slow for animation, unfortunately. Perhaps it's connected to the canvas size, or the fact I'm drawing permanent things on the canvas, but just after some seconds it gets slower and slower and becomes unusable."

Just curious...
is the slow down attributed to the implementation of the framework or the garbage collection and javascript rendering capabilities of the browser?

Great work...

16 years ago #

> How much time did it take to make that?

Well, the concept had been lingering around for a couple of months (or more?), while I was hoping to find someone to join the team to do it in Flash. I did the Canvas speed test on one day (which showed it was much too slow in IE) and then after another break, started the actual buttons this Tuesday.

Due to this being Canvas, unfortunately for this moment I left out all ideas involving bitmap filters: smearing, color inversion and so on. (Not to say that filters are necessary impossible in Canvas with some workaround... or necessarily easy in Flash, I don't know...)

Pam, I have to look up ZBrush and KidPix, perhaps I can find new ideas.

> Is there no way to access the PNG image with JavaScript and display it to
> the user locally, without involving server, when one clicks the "save" button?

That's a good question. The JavaScript function returns basically a giant encoded string representing the PNG file. Does anyone know if it's possible to trigger a direct download in JavaScript?

> Just curious...
> is the slow down attributed to the implementation of
> the framework or the garbage collection and javascript
> rendering capabilities of the browser?

I don't know exactly why it's slow in Internet Explorer. For IE, the only chance to use Canvas at the moment seems to be a wrapper around VML, the vector markup language which is IE's native framework. This wrapper was written by some Google employees. However, it almost seems like as opposed to saving the whole drawing in memory like Firefox seems to do – and in Canvas that's all that is needed, because in Canvas you can't manipulate vectors as objects once they're drawn (for all I know) – perhaps Internet Explorer saves all these as vector objects. But even when I'm only drawing a couple of sprites each frame, it becomes so slow in IE... like in this previous try at doing animations with Canvas (http://www.gamesforthebrain.com/game/oooze/), where I ended up replacing most vector objects with static images for IE because it was getting too slow.

Perhaps I can contact the developers behind the Canvas for IE library to ask...

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

philipp, you are crazy :D

nice!

Guillaume [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Works very fine on Ubuntu7 FF2. Great work. Suggestion: Don't go back to frame's center when mouse is outside, if possible. Have the "pencil" rotating color displayed somewhere. Funny stuff.

Bram [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Saving as .png is very easy when you install the Firefox Add-on ScreenGrab. You can choose between .png and .jpg. It's also possible to select a portion of the screen, thus eliminating all the buttons that show up in a normal screenprint.

answerfinder [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Very good – in fact brilliant. Works fine in Firefox 2.0.0.14 and I am able to save as a .jpg file. Undo would be a good option as it can be frustrating if you muck-up your last move.

16 years ago #

> Don't go back to frame's center when mouse
> is outside, if possible.

I'll see about this, I also find that might make sense.

Sai Gudigundla [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

It's a great piece of software... very innovative...

Satan [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

I love it! With the right patience, you could even make some big-pharmaceutical-company-like logos with this.

What's really cool is post-editing it in Fireworks... I've made some neat looking stuff in the last five minutes!

16 years ago #

Just updated the site with changed + new functionality.

16 years ago #

Loving the improvements!

Adam Emanoff [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Way cool – thanks for the tip!

Works fine in Flock 1.2.1

maddogza [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

SO COOL!

Joanna [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

It's been picked up by Lifehacker:
http://lifehacker.com/396162/bomomo-makes-abstract+ish-art-simple

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Nice to see you have save to PNG (sort of working) :-)

15 years ago #

Bomomo is now available in an Internet Explorer version!
http://bomomo.com

All credits for the Internet Explorer version go to my friend Nikolai Kordulla.

There's still some things to do in the IE version but it's a great start I think.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!