Google Blogoscoped

Forum

TinEye Image Comparison Search  (View post)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, June 10, 2008
16 years ago6,270 views

This is called Image Mining, and was heavily pioneered by Quaero.

Marcin Sochacki (Wanted) [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Re: Why doesn’t Google release this?

Performance, performance, performance. Comparing images is several orders more difficult than processing text, as the process requires some fuzyy logic. E.g. it should find images which are essentially the same, but of different size or with different JPEG compression settings.

Satan [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Marcin – Oh yeah, 'cause Google always shies away when the going gets tough! :-D

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Google has no reason not to have something like this after their acquisition of neven vision.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Google has already said it will add this feature (and many other enhancements) in Image Search.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

well then, there is no reason it should take them this long after their acquisition! but i guess there has to be *some* reason since it has taken them this long. i'm just impatient

Marcin Sochacki (Wanted) [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Satan:

I'm not saying it's impossible, but that it requires massive amounts of computing == lots of electricity == lots of $$$. Of course Google does have the money but finding locations for large datacenters with access to good connectivity, power and cooling is not so trivial. Clearly, they still have other projects with higher priority, than throwing tens of thousands servers just to launch the image search with pattern recognition.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!