Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Toolbar with Fx3  (View post)

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, June 15, 2008
16 years ago7,672 views

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/2008/06/google_toolbar_3.html

<<

I asked the other day what people thought about search toolbars now that browsers all come with pretty sophisticated built-in search and find capabilities. There were some good responses both pro and con.

Today, the news is good for Google Toolbar fans. Just in time, it's been updated to work with Firefox 3. If you're a user and you can't do without it, here it is: Google Toolbar.
>>

Motti [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Hmm, nice to see it updated but I was hoping that some of the features from the Internet Explorer beta version would have been ported in this update.

Features I've noticed that the IE version has that are absent from the latest Firefox version:
- No notebook integration, only plain Google bookmarks. (Bookmarks and Notebook are integrated and in the IE version you can see both from a unified drop down).
- No support for iGoogle gadgets. In the IE version you can include (say) maps, YouTube or calendar gadgets. It's a bit flaky in IE but entirely missing from FF3 version.
- No support for saving your toolbar settings to your Google account so your setting synchronise between computers.

Also interesting to note the "Docs and Spreadsheets" (they still use that term here) settings only has updated file types support – no PDF upload.

I assume this was simply a porting effort and the feature updates will follow.

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I gotta try FF3 on Tuesday. IE7 crashes so much I am sick of it.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

All this time without Google toolbar made me reconsider if it's really necessary. And I don't really need it. History was a nice feature, but I have the local history instead, and I use keywords to get fast to search, mail, calendar and things I need.
I miss the suggest feature, but I can live without it.
For what do you use the toolbar? Any suggestion/idea about?

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here] Zim:
For a quick search..
I rarely use the built-in upper right search tab..

Plus, when i need to define something.
I just type the word, hit the button, and i get a full translation :)

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I installed it, but I've already set it to replace the default search and hide the rest. I have GMarks installed (As it became FF3 compatible AGES ago)

The only real reason for me having it is better GDocs integration. (Although it dosn't support Presentations or PDFs yet)

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

For me, I really dislike toolbars. I currently hide the main menu bar and move the bookmarks toolbar onto the main "Navigation" bar for getting to my favourite sites. I have the Web Developer toolbar installed, but hidden unless I need it.

dualsub2006 [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

After all of this time it is simply a retread of the old version. Who am I to complain about what Google provides for free, but you would think that if all they intended to do was make the old version compatible they could have done that months ago.

I have learned that as much as I used to love it for spell check, search site and desktop search that I don't need it and won't be installing it again.

Sorry Google, you lost me.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<< but you would think that if all they intended to do was make the old version compatible they could have done that months ago. >>

I don't think it's a good idea to update a plug-in for the beta version of a software because you'll have to release new versions every time that software changes something important. That's why many developers wait until the (almost) final version is released.

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

As a user whose native language isn't English, Google Toolbar's roll-over instant translation tool is very handy .. typing "define:" command would simply require too many clicks ... I also use the highlight function in toolbar instead of the jumping here and there build-in search in Firefox.

I would agree that having the embed gadget function would be great.

dualsub2006 [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

<<I don't think it's a good idea to update a plug-in for the beta version of a software >>

The beta status of FF3 didn't stop Yahoo from releasing their toolbar. Didn't stop the developers of the Groowe toolbar. It didn't even stop the developers of the Gooblebar Lite toolbar from releasing their toolbar.

Fact would be that Google took a very long time to fix a trivial bug to make their toolbar work with the new FF. I will say again, there has been a beta version of a new toolbar for IE for MONTHS that has some features I would like to see in the FF version. They can't do that. All they can do is retread this old tire.

There is a very long list of extensions that were released for the beta version of FF3, just not the official Google toolbar. Your thoughts about releasing plugins for beta browsers aside. Google would do well to remember that a weaker Firefox and resulting renewed interest in IE is not in their own best interest. They don't seem interested in FF these days.

Above 11 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Chris [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

This is great news, I have been using Google Toolbar Lite, but sorely missed this. Thanks a lot.

Ntoor [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Very Nice..i was missing it....happy to c it with Firefox 3

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Not work now. I just try to install Google Toolbar on Firefox 3.0.

http://www.zuosa.com/photo/mms/00/00/48/21518562.jpg

The install page is:

http://tools.google.com/firefox/toolbar/FT3/intl/zh-CN/install.html

Please Check, thanks.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Still not work. Any googlers realated with toolbar here?

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Try: http://dl.google.com/firefox/google-toolbar-ff3-win.xpi

Neda [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Hi to all,

But this toolbar seems not to work with FF3!!! I have FF3, on installing Google toolbar it implies "not able to install, because there is no upbate for it"!! Any help please?? I've tried from tools.google.com & also CNET, non of them got installed!!

Neda [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

PS, & dl.google.com/firefox/google-t ... gives error on page.
   Thanks.

pringo6[put at-character here]hotmail.com

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!