Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Customer Service

Garett Rogers [PersonRank 10]

Friday, June 20, 2008
16 years ago8,268 views

Does anybody have experience (good/bad) with Google customer service? From my experience, it has been terrible almost 100% of the time, making it one of the worst things Google does.

Here is something I propose Google does to help change the way they approach customer service:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Google/?p=1073

Let's hear your best idea for a Google customer service makeover...

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think it is more important to educate users that they should be learning to help themselves. Resources should be used to solve real bugs and problems.

Ash [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

It is true that for *paid* services (e.g. Google Apps Premier) you get no support. That isn't right, there's money being paid, there's no other tech company that has no support line (where you'll definitely get some answer) for paid services.

Mike [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

First, I would like to have a public bugtracker like Bugzilla, for all Google products including labs beta versions.

Second, Consistency of the support pages. Now the navigation, look and feel isn't so good as it should be. That if Google want integration between different Google products like Blogger and Google Apps. Where to search for bugs?

Official information can be found at:
1. Ordinary Help center pages.
2. Google's different blogs.
3. In dedicated subgroups of Google Groups.
4. As replies to questions in normal Google Groups.
5. Google Groups pages/wiki-function.
6. Videos made by Google hosted at Youtube.
7. Google Sites eg http://sites.google.com/site/io/
8. Google Code http://code.google.com

Now, you can't
a. Search all official information at same time.
b. See which official Google blogs and Google Groups exists.
c. Follow official information by RSS.

dualsub2006 [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

>>First, I would like to have a public bugtracker like Bugzilla, for all Google products including labs beta versions.<<

I'd like for Google to give me $5 for every search that I do at Google.com. I stand a better chance of getting what I want than you do.

Could they organize support documentation better? Yes, they could but there are links inside of every Google product to the help site and then from there you can find resources for Groups, blogs and other things. That's as good as it gets.

As far as support, I have only needed to contact Google support a few times for Gmail and Desktop. I have gotten quick and accurate help each time, save the few instances where I have contacted GrandCentral.

Mike [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

<<there are links inside of every Google product to the help site and then from there you can find resources for Groups, blogs and other things. That's as good as it gets.<<

Then you haven't used Google Apps. There the support pages links to both Google docs group, Apps, Sites, Page creator groups etc. Where should one seek answers eg for sharing documents for domain users and other google accounts users? Could it be any page relating to Docs, Apps, Sites or what??

To build a community around Google Apps is as now quite difficult to accomplish.

I understand that you don't have these requirements, using Gmail isn't a problem for the ordinary user.

Anon [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

Let me give you a simple example. A guy I know wants to sing up to Google Apps Premier Edition. He can get off the VAT (UK tax) if he enters his VAT number. Unfortunately the sign-up process won't recognise his VAT number so he won't proceed. He's emailed Google, however he knows he won't get a reply.

Any normal business has a support line. They've started to charge real $$$ for services so they've got to grow up and provide support to paying customers.

PostiniGuy [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Google doesn't like people as customers. A great example is Google Apps. They tout a toll free number for tech support (650-253-0000, then press five then press three). When you go through that process a voice tells you that the service is not activated.

Hmmmmm...sounds like Microsft has nothing to worry about with the likes of Google Apps.

Nobody is buying Google Apps. I wonder why no large firm has standarized on Google Apps? Perhaps the lack of documentation and customer service?

PostiniGuy [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Google does't like to talk to customers, period!

Google doesn't like to be honest with Google Message Security services, either. Go to the order page for Google Message Security services and you see three "products/services" to purchase online.

What the order page DOESN'T say is that there is ZERO email or telephone technical support with these services UNLESS you purchase $1500.00 worth of those services.

Scores of small business owners have purchased a few hundred dollars worth of GMS products. When they try to make it work many have problems with knowing what MX records, DNS, and SMTP are. They contact Postini tech support and are told they don't qualify for ANY email or telephone technical or customer service support, unless they spend at least $1500.00 with Google.

To make matters even worse, most of those small business owners are then told that even if they purchase $1500 worth of service, there is an EXTRA $1000.00 for POWERUP, or setup for GMS.

Google tries very hard to HIDE technical and customer service phone numbers.

I found a Google support phone number. Call 650-253-0000, then hit 5 then hit 3 on the phone and you be told there is no phone support and they refer to to an FAQ page.

Google may rule in search.

But GOOGLE customer service with GMS sucks and MSFT has zero to worry about with Google Apps as a major enterprise vendor.

No mid sized or large American company will allow this K-Mart level customer service for any product.

beussery [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Yeah this has always been an issue! Best bet is posting in Google Groups! Chances are you'll get your question answered their pretty fast...

They would need 10 times the staff to answer half the questions asked.

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

What's particularly interesting is that often the Googlers answering questions in a lot of the Google Groups are doing it in their own time, when they're home from the Googleplex...

Lmack [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I can't get any customer support and the issue is I have already purchased the site search and will make another large corporate purchase for two search appliances but without someone pointing me in the right direction my project will not roll out on time.

I any business offering service should offer customer service because if things were as simple and easy to use, this blog would not be neccessary.

who can point me in the right direction? I made two corporate purchases for the google site search and need it installed today July 16th and I don't know where to start.

My two order numbers are:
Google Order #759168406943594
Google Order #941567587360278

The purchase was made by the Sr Purchasers for the company but they did not use the SAGE account as preferred.

Please assist as soon as possible.

LaToya.Mack[put at-character here]sage.com or 4043147125

beussery [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

You might try contacting a partner:
http://www.google.com/enterprise/gep/directory.html

Gary [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Why is it I can never find my own web site on Googles main page but I can useing my web browser and does anyone know Googles e.mail address?

drtimofey [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Gary
Funny!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!