Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[OT] HELP!! How do you uninstall Vista SP! Release Candidate 1

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman (AEF) [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, June 22, 2008
15 years ago4,136 views

HELP!!!!

I installed Service Pack 1 Release Candidate on my computer in January. (I have Service Pack 1, v.744) But the problem is that it makes Vista an evaluation copy of Windows that expires on 6/30/2008 7:59 PM.

So now I have only a few days until my Windows License expires.

I have a legal copy of Vista. It has an OEM from Dell.

I could always reinstall the OS – but I really don't want to do that.

I need to uninstall the SP1 RC1.

It doesn't come up in the list of installed updates.

How do I do this?

HELP!!!!!!!

Drtimofey [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I really don't know of any way to upgrade. I think the only way is to make a clean install. You can email Microsoft for help. They have exellent customer service.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I'm not sure if this information is accurate.

<< Now, to the actual uninstalling of Vista SP1. The process is rather simple and it involves the Package Manager. All that users have to do is open a command prompt with elevated privileges. In order to do so, simply type "cmd" in the Search box under the Start menu and right-click selecting "Run as administrator" from the contextual menu that will pop up. Identify the build number of your previous Vista SP1 installation and put in the following command: "start /w pkgmgr /up: VistaSP1-KB936330~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.0.". This is obviously valid for 32-bit machines. On 64-bit computers replace "x86" with "amd64". For confirmation enter "winver" and press Enter in the Run dialog box. >>

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-and-Uninstall-Windows-Vista-Service-Pack-1-Release-Candidate-1-73499.shtml

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman (AEF) [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

OK –

I got it.

Drtimofey –
I called them. They said I need to speak to Tech Support and it would cost me $265 per issue.

Ionut -
Thanks for your help. I saw that a while ago and it didn't work. I must've googled and searched and asked around for hours. A lot of people said that but it didn't work. Some said (as mentioned above) that you need to know the exact build number but wouldn't show me how to do that. Then I found someone who said that there is a "typo in the above comment – there is no space between up: and Vista. Tried that and still nothing. Then I decided to Google part of that string to see all the people who talk about it and I found the .Net Aficionado who explained exactly how to find the build number and do it. The link is http://gabriel.lozano-moran.name/blog/PermaLink,guid,b83bf02b-de29-41d4-9619-4230894dd0d7.aspx .

Thanks for your help.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!