Google Blogoscoped

Forum

4th column igoogle option disabled?

disorientated [PersonRank 1]

Monday, June 23, 2008
16 years ago7,088 views

I tried add 4th column to my igoogle from edit tab like it said in that guide, but i dont have option to change it to 4th column but only between 1-3 columns? Is 4 column igoogle option disabled?
   http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2007-09-03-n45.html

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think they took it off a few months ago. Not sure why. It was quite handy for widescreen monitors.

16 years ago #

I have one account on igoogle wich haves 4 columns but when i switch off from that it will perish from options, so what you said is true. There was some bug in 4 column igoogle so i think that might be answer why they took it off

laughing [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

bummer, you should use Odysen with free-formatting widgets, no more stupid columns to worry about...

16 years ago #

Odysen with free-formatting widgets?

Chouser [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

To get a fourth column, choose the dropdown next to the tab you want to change, and choose "edit this tab". Scroll down to the export/import section at the bottom, and click "export". That will cause your browser to download an XML file. Save it, and then open it with a text editor. Near the top you will see a line like:

<Layout iGoogle:spec="THREE_COL_LAYOUT_1" />

Change this to:

<Layout iGoogle:spec="FOUR_COL_LAYOUT_1" />

And save your changes. Then on the iGoogle page, choose the Browse button in the export/import section, and point it to your modified XML file. Now click "Upload" and "Save". You should be sent back to your existing iGoogle tab, but now you should have a blank fourth column on the right that you can drag widgets into.

--Chouser

rich [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Chouser, that solution no longer works as anything you put in the blank column gets moved to first column on reload.

kfaday [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

sucks!!

Chris [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Top search in google....means people (like me) are pissed. I miss my 4th column!!!

richard [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

As they say, "misery enjoys company". I loved my 4 columns. I want them back!

F.O.R. [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

/signed. Anyone started a petition online or something ? [grin/]

[Anonymous] [PersonRank 4]

15 years ago #

WTF is the deal here? Why are they always messing with that 4th column? Could Google really be a bunch of tools instead of the engineer geniuses we all thought they were? Could this really be hard to fix for them?

I have many tabs, took a lot of time setting up customized pages, and have enjoyed iGoogle immensely. I have stopped using it, because it's all f-ed up now. And if I take the time to set this up somewhere else, you can bet I won't be back (4th column fixed or not), and will have new skepticism for all Google products. What happened to "Don't be evil", retards!?!

I realize that it's free, but don't expect people to invest their time into something if you keep borking it once they get comfortable – free or not. Google may be a superior search engine for now, but it's not as dominant as it once was, and other big players are eying the top spot with foaming mouths. Google's gonna be sucking Yahoo's nuts soon with crap like this.

[Anonymous] [PersonRank 4]

15 years ago #

OK. Looks like they fixed their column impotence. Problem is, all my columns are still screwed up (smashed into 3 columns). Even tabs I did not visit during this issue. Can't say I'm exactly pleased, though I guess it's good that they fixed it. And how about a 5 column layout? This is not 1998, so most people have moved beyond 800x600 I think. So many widescreens, so much wasted iGoogle space...

And any tabs that I don't already have 4 columns can't be upgraded from 3. SooooooOOOOOOooooooo LAME!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!