Google Blogoscoped

Forum

New Crawl Stats Section in Webmaster Tools

Justin Pfister [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, June 26, 2008
15 years ago3,950 views

We at http://www.openyard.com discovered that Google is doing a little remodeling within Webmaster Tools and has created a 'Crawl Stats' section in the 'Statistics' section of Google Webmaster tools. Before this, you had to go to Tools >> Set Crawl Rate to view this information. The information showing on this new section is your Google-Bot activity, Page Rank distribution and highest 'Page-Ranked' Page. While none of this information is new, it suggests more dedication to this particular area within Webmaster Tools. Possibly we can expect to see some new metrics soon!

Here's a screenshot:
http://www.openyard.com/blog/uploaded_images/crawlstats.jpg

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Interesting new information keeps being added to Google Webmaster Tools. For example, I got this report under "Content Analysis":

Missing title tags 0
Duplicate title tags 508
Long title tags 0
Short title tags 0
Non-informative title tags 0

Obviously I need to find and fix my duplicate title tags, but it's also interesting to see that Google wants title tags to be not too short and not too long.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

What's a "Non-informative title tag"?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I wonder if it's one that says "Untitled Document" or just the file name...?

Justin Pfister [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I've got a few duplicate title tags as well. It's almost impossible to not trip any of their filters.

A non-imformative title tag must be 'not informational'..

I found this : "This title 'Home' is a potentially placeholder and non informative" on an MSN forum. another one might be 'index page'

JohnMu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

> Possibly we can expect to see some new metrics soon!

Just curious, what kind of metrics would you love to see?

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

They've definately updated their stats info. The Webmaster Tools tab in iGoogle went up high for my site this week:

Meta description issues 3212
Title tag issues 821
Non-indexable content issues 0

Before it only showed like 8 Title Tag issues, not it shows 821. Why do they have an issue if 2 pages have the same title tag?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!