Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Do you lean towards Design or SEO?

GalaxySpectrum [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, July 2, 2008
16 years ago3,342 views

With the positive reactions from Web Designers and SEOs about Search Engines now reading flash, the question begs....

Have you had to compromise Design for SEO when creating Websites or Optimizing them?

Design may make users return or hold them longer, but SEO gets you higher on the organic SERPs so that you can be noticed.

Before Google's dominance, this was no problem because Yahoo was a directory and MSN used Looksmart, they were the two most popular.
Of course, the PPCs were still on top as they are now.

So along with concerns for a DMOZ listings, websites were more concerned about directories than organics because it did not bring as much traffic as it does today. The title and the description given by the editor could make or break you.

But now, things may be different and with the coming decade, even more so.

So now will Web Designers indulge or has too much time passed before these innovation debuted?

beussery [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

White hat SEOs design for users not SEO and understand that user friendly design doesn't ask users to wait 10 seconds for a page to load.

scjm [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I make websites with useful content. That always seems to do the trick.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I have never seen a collision between my homegrown design ideas vs SEO, but when I worked in a web agency I did see these collisions – e.g. when the designers wanted to implement the navigation in Flash, or wanted to pop-up the microsite in a new(URL-bar less window (all things I would suggest not to do).

GalaxySpectrum [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Of course there were work arounds – sort of.

But usually only Programmers knew of them.

Also, some might have been afraid of being accused of Spamming.

Has anyone used the ** NOSCRIPT, NOEMBED or elaborate ALT **tags to include the info that would be understood by Search Engines but related to the unreadable animations of graphics.

Also, were you concerned about being considered Spamming and being reported?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!