Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Docs Full-Screen Mode  (View post)

Pixelisation [PersonRank 1]

Friday, July 18, 2008
15 years ago3,851 views

>Does anyone know how to bookmark a Google Docs document so that it always opens in full-screen mode though?

I don't know, but there's "&fs=true" in Presentation's URL to launch the diaporama. It doesn't work in Documents.

The Full Screen mode is very cool, but they should rethink the keypad shortcuts – for instance, Ctrl+1 (or 2, 3) changes tabs in Firefox, not heading level. There's also no shortcuts to turn a text from heading to paragraph (quite annoying).

Why not to implement a GDocs labs à la Gmail, from where I would personalize shortcuts and other optional feature (auto-complete in spreadsheet, etc.).

PS: I think they also change a little the UI for docs (smaller doc's title and smaller Google logo). Can anyone confirm that?

quet [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Philipp, I really like that nice zoom graphic effect (lt gray fade) you made! Just wondering if you made that from a graphics program manually or if you used a specialized app?
I use a program called SnagIt from Techsmith to capture pics on the screen and notate them, add graphics, etc. Its fast and works very well, but it doesn't have the ability to add the zoom effect like you did. I've always liked that type of effect.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Quet, this was done in Corel PhotoPaint. I overlaid two screenshots (done in PaintShop Pro 4) and then created a black polygon in-between them and adjusted its opacity (I also added a slightly blurred copy of the black polygon as layer for some softer borders).

quet [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Yeah I figured it was probably done manually since I've yet to find an app that does that. Thanks for sharing the technique.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Quet, this screen capture application offers a simple zoom feature (which may or may not be what you're looking for since it's quite different to Philipp's screenshot):

http://www.labnol.org/software/download/bug-shooting-perfect-screen-capture-utility-windows/3881/

I've not tried it but you may want to give it a go.

quet [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Thanks Tony. That app looks like a lite (and free) version of SnagIt. But it doesn't have a real zoom-type graphic effect that I am looking for. I've suggested such a feature on Techsmith's forum in the past, but they've yet to create one. However, using Snagit, I was able to recreate the effect similar to the way Philipp did it.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!