Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Java Update pushing Yahoo! Toolbar

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

Friday, July 18, 2008
15 years ago5,136 views

Just had Java update itself, this time pushing the Yahoo! Toolbar. Didn't it previously push the Google Toolbar? Either way, I feel the same way about this (pre-selected to install toolbar during an update) as many people felt about Apple pushing the non-installed products during the update of iTunes/Quicktime: it probably works well, but it's sleazy.

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

yes. i noticed this too. its now pushing the yahoo toolbar instead of the google toolbar.

i don't want either. so STOP asking.

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I remember that toolbar push when I updated recently.
Can't remember if it was selected by default, though. That's my main issue with these sorts of placements. I can (grudgingly) accept them as long as they're not default selected.

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

It's in my nature to be painfully aware of the fine print – and the state of check boxes.

For me, this was checked by default – and I have absolutely no Yahoo! software installed. It was later in the sequence of the installation and it had it's own page – probably a choice that made the Sun privacy team (if they exist) just comfortable enough for it to ship.

Are there any guidelines published for "good" software behaviors? Something like "no new software should be installed on a machine without specific action being taken by the user"?

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

All I know is..the Yahoo toolbar crashes my IE7. And go to download.yahoo.com and see if you can download it (if you run Vista/IE7.) everytime it crashes the browser.

Of course, now I use FF3 only, so it doesn't matter.

Princess Zina [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Please, can someone tell me how to remove this monster from my K-Meleon?! It's beautiful, someone must have worked hard on it, but they neglected to have any sort of uninstall method for this toolbar! It's not listed in add/remove and there is no 'remove' button on the toolbar.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!