Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Reader - now showing original web page?

Dave Shaw [PersonRank 5]

Tuesday, July 22, 2008
15 years ago3,315 views

From Google Reader help:

Click the gray arrow icon in any item to go directly to the website where the item came from. If you're in the expanded view, you can also click the title of the item. The website will appear in a new window so you can easily return to Google Reader when you're finished.

Has this been happening long? Very good addition if you ask me. I've switched back from Bloglines now. I do like the Google Reader in the new iGoogle although I don't understand why so much space is given to 'You may like...'

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I'm sure this has always been there. (Maybe not the same icon but they've always linked to the original website... don't all feed readers?)

Dave Shaw [PersonRank 5]

15 years ago #

Yes...but now it SHOWS the original website within Google Reader, so you never leave the Google Reader page. I'm sure it hasn't done this?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

No, Dave. You're using a Greasemonkey script (http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/9455) or Lifehacker's Better GReader compilation.

Dave Shaw [PersonRank 5]

15 years ago #

Wow yes you're right. I really should have known that :(

Thanks.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Dave, the new iGoogle Google Reader functionality isn't the same thing as the Google Reader gadget. If you see "You may also like..." you're probably looking at the (nonexistant) canvas view of the Google Reader gadget, which has been around for a while. Try looking at the canvas view of a regular feed gadget (for instance: http://www.google.com/ig/directory?url=blogoscoped.com/rss.xml)

From there you can access your other feeds.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!