Google Blogoscoped

Forum

GMail custom mail domains

MHagar [PersonRank 1]

Saturday, July 26, 2008
15 years ago6,244 views

I don't like the new mail domain that Yahoo and Hotmail recently introduced, I feel it affects the brand like some people don't know what is @rocketmail, it's not related to Yahoo at all or what is @live.com is that hotmail!!!

And I strongly disagree with Google if it does the same with Gmail, I feel it's a mess. But I think it should introduces new custom domains which doesn't affect the brand, which is in this case the GMail. Don't you think it will be great if they make new domains for each country like @gmail.co.uk or @gmail.fr? They will make more usenames available and still it wont affect there brand.

--
MHagar
IT WORX

Luka [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Gmail.co.uk will never be allowed as Gmail.de for legal issues in these countries.

MHagar [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

It was just an example, maybe googlemail.co.uk

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I don't see why Google should do this, I would be pissed if they allow somebody to register with the same user id with googlemail.co.uk (given that Google owns this domain) as the one I am having with Gmail.com.

Yahoo!'s only doing that because, like you said, those domains are not related to Yahoo!'s brand to most people.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

There are some people who (pretend to) have addresses @gmail.fr, so Google will probably open for registration international domains.

drtimofey [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I agree with Haochi.
It, however, would be nice if Google includes all countries' extensions with every email username, so you can send/receive emails from eigher user123[put at-character here]gmail.com or user123[put at-character here]gmail.de or user123[put at-character here]gmail.ru

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Luka
What are the legal issues that you are referring to?

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]drtimofey
Trademark disputes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gmail#Trademark_disputes

MHagar [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Ionut
You think this is only gonna happen with france or google is gonna open it up to the rest of the countries? Do you think they will be allowed to chose usernames which are already registered @gmail or it will be the same as @googlemail, that @gmail.fr and @gmail.com @googlemail.com is all the same?

15 years ago #

If that's how serious it is on the legal side, I think that google should follow the path of yahoo and offer email addresses @google.com. Maybe the employees can move to @em.google.com, etc...

MHagar [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

[Moved from "Gmail.fr ?" – Tony]

Why google does own the domain gmail.fr and it doesn't own other domains like gmail.co.uk or gmail.com.eg and also when i try to signup through google apps to any local egyptian domain it accepts it for example msa.com.eg but when i enter gmail.com.eg it refuses?

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[Moved from "Gmail.fr ?" – Tony]

Maybe so that people won't get confused/tricked into believing that the said domain/email service is ran Google?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!