Google Blogoscoped

Forum

ChiefMall Contractor Search Engine  (View post)

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, July 30, 2008
15 years ago3,759 views

Isn't this (blogo-posting, as well as the service itself) misnamed? I don't know enough about the mysterious netherworld of outsourced contracts industry, but the "ChiefMall" chosen as identifying key name doesn't evoke any sort of images --in my reptile brain only, mind-- that would spell "plumber," "reupholsterer," or "Seymour, the beam raiser"[*]. Also, there is no explicit MISSION/METHOD statement on the site, while "About" lists only the names of chief makers of this chiefmall (because feeding their ego apparently is more imporant than explaining what it's all ABOUT in words longer than sound-bite size).

Then again, this new search engine-cum-bid front-end site is US-only, ie pretty parochial in scope, esp. in the context of this blog's devotion to watching the reach and feeding of crumbs fallen off global Google's table(s). Or something.

[^*] That was a literary reference, so you're half-excused if you didn't get it.

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

> the "ChiefMall" chosen as identifying key name doesn't evoke any sort of > images

How about Cuil? Does it evoke some sort of image related to a search engine in your brain? Chiefmall started as a site for Chief Architects exclusively, we then decided to open it up to all contractors.

> Also, there is no explicit MISSION/METHOD statement on the site

The mission statement is explained in the FAQ. It's "All Contractors, localized on the Web!" So basically the goal is to index all the contractors worldwide and provide their services where the user needs them while doing something interesting using the power of the web (such as job postings, personalized pages or more social stuff like reviews). The site already indexes all active licensed contractors in California and in 8 other states.

> new search engine-cum-bid front-end site is US-only

It is and it's still a work in progress. I thought it was cool to use this data and make something useful out of it.

> in the context of this blog's devotion to watching the reach and feeding of crumbs fallen off global Google's table(s).

Google and related. All Contractors, localized on the Web! I think that's something Google might be interested in doing.

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

> How about Cuil? Does it evoke some sort of image related to a search engine in your brain?

"Cuil" (and "Google" btw) are made-up words, so they could be associated freely to any product. activity or endeavor that chose to use them as label-semaphors. It's the classic chicken-vs-egg scenario (and I trust this semantically uncluttered enough for you). "ChiefMall" on the other hand is made up of two existing, yet fairly ambiguous, words, that have a range of meanings, few of them unequivocally near the building trades. It's nice to know though, that, apparently, you expect future users of the service to read your mind, the one in which the connection of (begun as) "Chief Architect" --> "Chief Contractor" --> "Mall of Chief Contractors" --> (ended as) "Chief Mall" stands tall & apparent. If not outright IOTTMCO[*], if you understand what I mean. which you probably don't.

> The mission statement is explained in the FAQ. It's "All Contractors, localized on the Web!"

That's a slogan, not a mission statement. That would explain the (if-)unique philosophy behind your undertaking, and why you expect it to be more useful than, I presume, checking the Yellow Pages, and inviting firms to bid on contracts by fax or email (which, if I'm not entirely mistaken, is the current Western SOP for such activities; sprinkled with some nepotism and golf-buddy-buddyism).

Besides, your "all" claim is already false on several levels. SOME building/ home improvement contractors IN PARTS of the USA and (in future) Canada, MAYBE. Other types of contract works will gather elsewhere, closer to their field of ops (advertising, say). You said Calafiornia, yet as of now there are no listings for contract killers, never mind Blade Runners, nor even The Terminator. All, indeed.

> the goal is to index all the contractors worldwide and provide their services where the user needs them

In your dreams, perhaps.

[^*] Immediately Obvious To The Most Casual Observer.

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

> "Cuil" (and "Google" btw) are made-up words

Reading your argument and it seems there is only one proper way of naming a service. Well maybe you should alert Craigslist because their name isn't proper.

>> The mission statement is explained in the FAQ. It's "All Contractors, localized on the Web!"

> That's a slogan, not a mission statement.

Well it's our tag line which captures our mission statement.

> That would explain the (if-)unique philosophy behind your undertaking, and why you expect it to be more useful than, I presume, checking the Yellow Pages

Well you haven't looked at the site well enough it seems. Our site is not the yellow pages. On the yellow pages you cannot create your own website, be matched with jobs being posted etc ... And we hope this is just the beginning until we provide a more social playground on the site.

> Besides, your "all" claim is already false on several levels. SOME building/ home improvement contractors IN PARTS of the USA and (in future) Canada, MAYBE.

Well Google has yet to organize the world's information. Our tag line is what we are aiming at though. We are not claiming it is the case right now. I think it's pretty clearly stated in the FAQ (www.chiefmall.com/faq). No? Isn't it already nice to be able to look up say all plumbers in mountain view and nearby?

> You said Calafiornia, yet as of now there are no listings for contract killers, never mind Blade Runners

Not yet ;)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!