Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[Gmail] New filter option: "Never send it to Spam"  (View post)

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, July 30, 2008
15 years ago11,870 views

http://i35.tinypic.com/34tcpat.png

Above 1 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Fritz Harasin [PersonRank 2]

15 years ago #

Great! What we would need now would be a somehow reversed option. Filter messages to land in the spam folder automatically (e.g. all the spam mail that my company mail filter catches and fwds to my gmail account with a clear label attached).

Avi K [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Would have loved it if the filters would allow a checkbox on the 'From' field for 'Sender is in address book' – this is a common filter element in Mac Mail.

In a sense, it allows you to set a filter for messages from senders that are part of your address book as recognized entities rather than put each name individually in the From: text box.

Usage Samples:
1. If From: is a sender in my address book -> Never send to spam
2. If From: is a sender in my address book -> Tag as 'Friends and Family'
3. If From: is a sender in my address book -> Apply a flag for 'Known Sender'

etc.

Chris [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

That is a nice new feature. Although most email clients will never put a mail into SPAM if it's already in your address book.

That's the one area that I don't like about Gmail and think they could build on – their address book features or rather, lack of.

[signature removed]

Avi K [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

This is correct if you perform client-side spam detection. However, when the receiving server receives email it suspects as spam, it tags it in the header for the client (some would also add a SPAM descriptor to the subject of the email itself). The client application will then proceed by taking the server's word as it is.

There are 2 usage profiles for Gmail – one in which it is both the server and the client (typical usage) and then you would hope that it does an address book lookup as part of the spam detection (I seem to think it does not), the other usage profile is where another mail processor does spam detection – e.g. postini which is not fully integrated to Gmail.

Under the second scenario, Postini might tag a message header with a spam score / flag before Gmail receives it (if you use enterprise Gmail). Gmail would then trust this is spam based on postini's header... It would be great to set up a filter that says that regardless of what spam filters think is spam, I still trust this user because he/she are in my address book. A much neater and user friendly way than managing white-lists on a spam engine

just my 2c

Liz [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Great! I complained to the Gmail team via a Google employee I know just a few weeks ago when I had a mailing list going to my trash that was also having a label applied correctly. They added a "Mark all as not spam" or something to the drop down menu after I complained that there was no way to mark multiple items as not spam, and just today looking at it, I see that they've added the "Not Spam" button to the spam box. It used to only be present at the top of the page for individual messages. Tiny steps toward a better gmail, yay!

[Anonymous] [PersonRank 4]

15 years ago #

Whitelisting individual e-mail addresses or domains (by adding them to the address book) has been part of Gmail since 2006 at least. But adding "Not spam" to filters is a great idea as it allows other fields or combinations to be used in the decision.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!