Google Blogoscoped

Forum

A Google.com Without Copyright Notice  (View post)

Mostafa ND [PersonRank 1]

Tuesday, August 5, 2008
15 years ago3,907 views

I don't like how it looks like without the copyright.

krist0ph3r [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

didn't work for me (i'm in india, so google keeps going to www.google.co.in – is that related?)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Kristopher, yes please switch to the google.com address first by following a link like "Google.com in English" at the homepage...

Jean-Noël [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

You can use this code and edit any page web :
javascript:document.body.contentEditable='true'; document.designMode='on'; void 0

Beussery [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I don't think the copyright notice is really needed. It's my understanding that "copyright" was actually added early on as an indication to users that the page had fully loaded.

Prasad [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

It didn't work for me.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Beussery, did you read this post? ;-)

<< The story goes that Google once added the copyright notice because people back in the portal-plagued 1990s otherwise didn't understand the page finished loading already. >>

beussery [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Tony

Yes, just pointing out that "copyright" isn't really necessary from a legal standpoint as I understand it in the US. Second sentence was confirming what was said in the post. Either way, interesting experiment but I can't get it to work : (

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I like the copyright notice, although that could just be because I'm accustomed to its presence.

[put at-character here]Beussery
I'm guessing there is a fairly similar stance on the matter around the world. According to the UK IPO (Intellectual Property Office), it is advised but not required that you display a notice.

<<To help protect your copyright work, it is advisable to mark it with the © symbol, the name of the copyright owner and the year of publication. Although this is not essential, it will let others know when the term of protection started and hence whether it is still covered by copyright, and indicate who to approach should they need to ask permission to use the work. >>

From http://www.ipo.gov.uk/copy/c-claim/c-auto.htm

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

At first i didn't like it, but quickly i liked it more. Anyways, the experiment seems to be gone now.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!