Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Ex-Googler Being Micromanaged  (View post)

Ex Googler [PersonRank 0]

Tuesday, November 29, 2005
18 years ago

I worked at Google and the same exact thing happened to me as well.

Everytime you blew your nose there had to be documentation made in triplicate and escalated up through eight levels of management.

For an allegedlly "free form" and "fun" company there was TONS of bureaucracy.

Search Engines Web [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

passive-aggressive head games'

What does he mean by that?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> For an allegedlly "free form" and "fun"
> company there was TONS of bureaucracy.

Which department did you work in, Ex-Googler?

> passive-aggressive head games

SEW, maybe that he reacted to seemingly unfair pressure by working even slower, out of frustration?

Justin Pfister [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

If companies take on creative people, they need to expect normal creative cycles. Sometimes you can work for 5 weeks straight and do the most amazing things.. But then you're burnt out so don't expect to see them around for a week or so. .. Heck.. Maybe a year. But then, they come back and do something super amazing. it's not worth it to push they type of people.. They push themselves. There's a fire within them.

How the heck can companies expect someone to be enthusiastic about working 5-6 long days a week.. It's so dumb. The whole point of life ceases to exist.. Where's the inspiration in that Google! Dang.. I'm sorry for this rant. But I wish I could shake every single corporation in my country.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!