Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Content Owners Profiting From YouTube Uploads  (View post)

Eugene Villar [PersonRank 5]

Thursday, August 28, 2008
15 years ago3,475 views

I wonder how mashup videos are handled, in case a single video uses material (audio or video) from two content-providers. As I see it, it seems that the system only tags a video to be the property of only one content provider.

krist0ph3r [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

hmmm...great news!!! i guess this is the way to go...if this works well, it looks like media companies will finally meet the 21st century :)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Eugene, and then there's the issue of fair use – I'm not sure how smart Google/ YouTube's identifier is in understanding that a small clip from someone else, integrated as part of a larger something, can be perfectly valid (and can also be used commercially by the masher without paying the quoted-clip owner).

Eugene Villar [PersonRank 5]

15 years ago #

Philipp, that too. I pretty much am willing to bet that their auto-tagging is likely to trample down on fair use. Fair use (in the U.S.) is definitely something that can't be determined in an automated manner since each case of fair use can only be determined by the court system. And I don't think robots will become judges/jury anytime soon.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!