Google Blogoscoped

Forum

I dare you to switch 100% to Chrome

Floris Fiedeldij Dop [PersonRank 2]

Wednesday, September 3, 2008
15 years ago5,755 views

So, with all the buzz around Chrome, I wonder if anybody really bothers with a full switch?

Does it replace your?
IE 6
IE 7
IE 8
Safari
Opera
Camino
Flock
or even: Firefox

Is it just a fun gimmick like running Safari on Windows?
Or does it actually make you want to switch from whatever you're using to Chrome?

Personally for me it is nothing more but an interesting concept, a technological improvement over current browsers, and a preview of what might be default in all browsers in a year from now.

But I am used to the way my FireFox and Safari does things, I am used to the plugins that I use to be more connected with the social networks. I am used to being subscribed to feeds as I am now.

And Safari and FireFox are compliant enough to run fast enough on all the pages I browse to.

I already switched from IE6 to FireFox. And on the Mac to FireFox and Safari.

Sure, I have Opera and the rest installed, but that's just because I am a web designer/developer and desire to try different shapes and sizes. I will also have Chrome installed, because I am quite pleased with it.

But I do not wish to switch yet again, do you?

I originally posted this on my blog here, http://mrfloris.com/blogs/i-dare-you-to-switch-100-to-chrome/ but after reading this site again I thought it might be nice to share it here too. Since we're all googlers here ;)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Before I'd consider switching away from Firefox 3 to give Chrome a longer test, they would need to allow me to truly disable the speed dial, to let me add words to the spellchecker, and to have Ctrl+N open a new full-screen window (not just a smaller window), as I don't use tabs. Also, in case there's other places where tabs are forced on you (not sure), that would need to go too... I don't mind the tab at tob though, as it's not taking away more space than a title bar would...

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

...you don't use tabs?

x.x

15 years ago #

> ...you don't use tabs?

I use tabs (or something like it) – the one in the Windows task bar, which I've put to the left and which shows on-hover (I also use Alt+Tab to tab through those). The bonus? It works consistently across all programs – photo editors, FTP clients etc. – not just web apps and web sites. See these screenshots (Vista):

http://blogoscoped.com/files/task-bar-tabs-1.png
http://blogoscoped.com/files/task-bar-tabs-2.png

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I can't switch 100% to Chrome because I run Ubuntu on my PC and my Laptop runs Win98SE :P

On Vista (On my PC) I currently use Firefox 3, I was interested by chrome when I read the comic and it sounded good, but using it, it just didn't feel right. Also:

* Can't use Google Bookmarks (Which I do on several copies of Firefox)
* No Extensions
* No Run/Save/Cancel window for downloads (Even if a page does it without you clicking anything)
* I like having the File/Edit/Tools menu at the top
* Doesn't support some of Google's own services (Lively)

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Most of my favorite extensions are not working even on FF3 hence I'm still on FF2.0. So no question for me to move 100% to chrome.

I like chrome just for more real-estate, nothing else caught my interest yet :(

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

The product is in the beta step and as you know all beta at google means about 2 years or more to go to the final release, thus this question is to be asked after the final product is here.

Chrome as it is now have big big biiiiig pbs and limitations but at the same time big promises

Floris Fiedeldij Dop [PersonRank 2]

15 years ago #

Everything from Google is in beta, that's just a ridiculous argument. Sorry. But yes, I understand what you are saying. Hence my challenge .. who dares to fully switch. In other words: Is it a FireFox / IE killer? I hope it is, but I do not think it will be.

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I'm working with Chrome 24+ hours, and I switched completely. So that's a day's worth of serious work (research, googling, forums, documenation, internal websites), and now (in the train) for personal use.

I guess i switched already, but it is a bit early to tell. ;)

I was a very minimalistic user of firefox. No bookmark-toolbar, as much browsable space as posible, just a few plugins.

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

It is impossible to switch actually because the browser is not secure, not stable and not extensible.

i was trying it yesterday it makes me laugh

i wish it will be a ie killer not a firefox killer

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I have switched for the time being to see how it is. The browser is perfectly stable for me, and let's face it, extensions aren't the raison d'ĂȘtres of the web browser.

And on the insecure quote: if a bug is discovered in Firefox, do you suddenly switch to Opera, Safari or maybe even abandon the internet? No. If Chrome had 100 security flaws already, they'd be call for concern, but I'd hardly class one security flaw as grounds making a fuss.

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Martin

I wonder how it crashes here about 6 times this day. it is only fast. c tout.

didn't youget this :

about:crash
or this:
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3938/notrespro4.jpg

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I accept the dare.... I have switched to it completely since the launch

Yes its tough, missing the good old extensions. :P

I might as well stay with it and see the way it evolves. >.<

toml [PersonRank 6]

15 years ago #

Before you will switch to Chrome read this http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/2008-September/064203.html and you can find much more exploits in chrome......

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I've swtiched completely. Looking forward to getting some tighter integration with Google services, but I can understand why they'd want to make it as independant as possible at release.

I was using FF3, but never found any extensions that were worth the overhead, so no loss there :)

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/6807/switchat6.jpg

Even Google didn't expect that some people will switch as soon as someone did here to their beta comic browser! ha ha

[put at-character here]Reto:
Extentions are very necessary, let say 15 % of the value of the browser.

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Bilal:
Not for me. Not for most people.

In my experience what most people mean when they say 'extensions are very necessary' is 'I really like "add blocker"'.

Not that I'm saying they're pointless. Just that for me, personally, the lack of extension support isn't a drawback.

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Reto:

Yes it is not a key factor but it allow a more confortable use. What one should care about now is security, stability, existing functionalities and performance. therefore i think it is early to switch now.

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Hey no offense, but did people think the same when Firefox first came out?

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

BTW, please dont misunderstand me. I was not talking about stability or security issues, I was talking about the early adoption thing.

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Inferno

No at all your position is correct but it is a sacrifice too.

15 years ago #

Extensions in Firefox are nice but can also make the browser crash more. I had to uninstall all add-ons just to find which one caused problems (likely, it was the Google Toolbar, which was my last candidate on the list as I figured it'd be stable... I miss the PageRank indicator). And then there's the growing problem of programs which you install – say, McAfeee, but also Google – installing their own add-ons into Firefox... sometimes without any easy way to uninstall them via Firefox either! (I.e. the "uninstall" button is grayed out in Firefox.) This should not be possible.

Due to these problems I'm currently running only a single extension in Firefox ("Screen grab"), and that's not the kind of extension I regularly need, so extension-wise I wouldn't mind switching to Chrome.

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Philipp

Sure, Even roses have thorns. For me i am using a selected set of extentions (about 6) which are currently very stable as a true part of the browser.

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Chrome is just in its early beta stage, a software is considered feature complete only at its release candidate state. So we cannot complain about lack of features, instead we should make wish list and make feature requests (and of course hope that they are fulfilled).

BTW, I feel that use of this software should not be discouraged, because if no one uses it then there is no way that this software can be developed to its full extent (its like a catch-22), that is the point of labeling it beta.

While using this software, I can feel that this software has come with many promise and it has the ability to open new windows to internet. It is only a matter of time now.

Cookie Lee [PersonRank 9]

15 years ago #

I've replaced IE7 with it. I use IE7 because Firefox has too many features (that I don't need) which make its interface looks complex, and, I'm not interesting about most of its "cool" features. Then Chrome, which has most of the features I need and works MUCH faster than IE, was released, and, I left IE.

p.s. Here's 4 small features I like in Chrome:
   (1) Pop-up window shows on the bottom of the page
   (2) Download a file doesn't interrupt web browsing
   (3) Textarea is resizable
   (4) You can undo more than 1 step in textarea

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I'm pretty sure I'm going to carry on using it exclusively. It's mostly the speed. Everything just feels so much faster and smoother, particularly javascripty things like gmail.

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Inferno
I agree yes, what is wrong is to switch to it. for example I am using it but i will not swich now.

One should know where to access and where not with such vulnerable software otherwise you will get attacked easily.

[put at-character here]Cookie Lee
Yes the design is very good and can be improved but what is disturbing are other issues due to the fact the software is still in the first test period

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!