Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[OT] @Philipp: Do you feel guilty regarding Chrome ?

SenorBurns [PersonRank 0]

Sunday, September 7, 2008
15 years ago3,347 views

Hi Philipp,

I'm just curious if you ever thought about your chrome promotion. Of course Google was the first one who made a mistake (they send you the comic). But now a lot lot lot lot of stuff has happened regarding Chrome. Google was forced to release it as a beta version with many security holes, many agencies and web sites warn about Chrome (also the ones which never tell sth about the net), ppl get more and more anxious about Google. All of this would never had happened if you kept the comic by yourself....

P.S: I didn't know how I would have reacted if i had received the comic. Perhaps I would also have published it. But if i see it from the current things that have happened, i think it would be best if the comic hadn't been officially published yet (just my own opinion)

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

The Chrome launch date was set for the following day as far as I was aware, the comic just arrived a day earlier than Google had expected.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Chrome's initial launch date was Wednesday, two days after Philipp's post and one day after the actual launch.

beussery [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I don't think two days really matter... Chrome is a beta, issues are to be expected.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

SenorBurns, why exactly should a blogger not blog about news sent to them by a company in the form of an email, snail mail etc., if the news is considered to be relevant? News reports work on a variety of sources: tips sent in by people, info sent in by a company, info sent in by a company's competitors, individual tests of products, news reports elsewhere, and much more, to aim to deliver coverage, showing positive or negative sides, depending on what happens. So I guess before I can answer I need to understand the question...

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

SenorBurns, It's not promotion, it's reporting. Philipp has nothing to feel "guilty" about. did he say that everyone should get Chrome and it was awesome and perfect? No, he jsut reported on the information he was given.

brinke guthrie [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Guilty? Preposterous.

brinke guthrie [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

If I hack into Google's mainframe and pull out a bunch of private data, thats one thing. But if I get a package from Google fedex'd to me, what am I gonna do...just let it sit there?

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

News agencies jumped in about Chrome because it was released by Google. I don't hear much at all about Firefox 3 or IE8 on the news. It's probably not newsworthy enough to tell everyone on the nightly news. But when Google jumps into the mix it's newsworthy it seems.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Are all the reports on the arrival of windows vista to blame for any of it's faults that users have had to put up with? It's a report *not* an advertisement.

neutrobum [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

hehehe

When I 1st saw the topic for this thread,
I thought it was about feeling guilty for
dumping your "traditional" browser in
favour of Chrome....

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!