Google Blogoscoped

Forum

FutureFeature: Google 2006  (View post)

lramirez [PersonRank 1]

Friday, December 2, 2005
18 years ago

5 out of 9 is a strong score. Keep it up Google!

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

It makes me wonder... are we successfully predicting what Google has planned for 2006 or do Google actually take notice of what people want to see?

Teseo [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Improvements to gmail:

- Multiuser acces to one account with distinct permisssions (reader, author, editor, designer, administrator).

- Design forms in the email. Not only email. Let the designer to add fields (many types), formula to that fields.

- Let us to design views: by form, or by another field of the forms.

Can you imagine the big number of applications that ypu can include in only one gmail account? Puffffff!

Rich [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Google Earth for OS X! (Please?)

Kevin [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

RSS integration in Gmail!

Rob Liebwein [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Google lost the case around the trademark "gmail" and had to rename it to googlemail.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4354954.stm

Therefore it's technically possible to catch all incoming emails. I have always missed the statement of the data security engineers.

Just image an example: outer-court.com loose a case about their domainname. The domainname will be re-registered by Mister X. And now Mister X setup his mailserver with a catchall-mailadress *[put at-character here]outer-court.com to forward all incoming mails into the mailbox of Mister X.

The same might also happen with gmail.com. All emails of all gmail-users will be able to be received by a 3rd party or by the trademark-owner himself.

How do you think about this? Do you have any news about this problem?

bye
Rob

Eric [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

What I expect/wish for:

- A major overhaul to Gmail, probably coinciding with the release of the Yahoo and Hotmail AJAX interfaces. Expect to see a preview pane, better pop access and aggregation, a "delete" button added, and probably a calendar and better contact management. Watch the size limit jump to 10 gig, 100 gig, or even unlimited.

- Version 2 of Google Talk, which will include a slew of new features, and see the service opened up to other Jabber servers. Acquisition of AOL would mean the ability to talk to AIM users.

- Improvements to Google Reader, possibly some kind of integration with Gmail/Talk. It needs the ability to perform bulk operations on feeds. Would also be nice to see the ability to search your feeds, and filter/tag items based on keywords rather than per feed.

- Google Paypal, which is the next logical evolution of Google Base.

- An easier to remember URL for Google Suggest, or even a way to toggle Google Suggest on the main search page.

- Better results integration – I'd like to see Google News, Google Blog Search, Google Book Search, Google Desktop search all appear on one results page (They do this now for Desktop & News – I want the rest).

- Google desktop as a real file manager

- Improvements to Google groups – perhaps evolving into some kind of groupware application, competing with Yahoo Groups.

- Something *huge* that coincides with the release of Windows Vista. A Google Linux distro? Google Office? A Google thin client that lets you access a personal "Google Desktop" via VNC?

Mo (mo.generaluse@gmail.com [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Either I don't completely understand the issue or it isn't as complicated as you Rob describes. gmail.com will be owned by Google no matter what. IIRC will have to file a lawsuit againt Google to take that domain name away from Google.

If IIRC wins their case, the only thing Google won't be able to do is market the "GMail" brand. It will still own the gmail.com domain. So IIRC would not be able to get it's hands on and do a *.gmail.com forwarding thing unless they want to battle it out with Google in the courts again. I believe they won't have a case in that matter because both companies can show that they have good business use of the domain name and since gmail.com was registered prior to the name was copyrighted by IIRC.

As far as US is concerned Philip would have to give up outer-court.com if some other firm prior to Philip registering the outer-court.com domain name had a copyright/trademark of the outer-court name and if all Philip was doing with outer-court.com was squatting, which is clearly not the case in this and gmail example.

I hope this makes sense.

Mo [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Apologies for spelling Philipp's name wrong.

Utills [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Some of the improvements I would like to see just for GMail from Google : -

- Enable tabs for email -> Having more than one page to read email has always been something that people do especially with browsers like Firefox.

- Allow RSS feeds for specific labels -> So if I have a label called "Uni", which I do for all forwards from my university inbox, I would like to subscribe to that label via the Live Bookmark system on Firefox. At least it would be a better way of knowing when I receive an email from a specific person or about a specific topic.

- Add calendar or to-do list within Gmail -> I think that Gmail should allow a tight integration between email and some sort of calendar or to-do list. Some sort of right click option when you click on a date or highlight a piece of text within an email to allow for adding reminders for yourself.

- Change right click to a context menu -> This links in with opening the link in a new tab, trashing a specific email. The menu should reflect exactly what is possible so if I right click on a message it should allow me to open the message in a new tab, in a new window, delete message, archive, apply a specific label, download its attachment(s), etc.

......continue reading the rest at: –

http://utills.blogspot.com/2005/12/improvements-to-gmail-i-would-like-to.html

sorry was too long to post the whole thing here.

Joe Marchese [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The AdSense that matters: AdSense for TV

Search Engines Web [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

The Link Popularity priority is bias against new sites.

A seperate search option for NEW SITES would be interesting. Technology could analyze the creation of the Domain Name – or – The first time the Site was spidered and Cached by Google, among other features – to allow for searching of the just added sites.

Using Click popularity Algos, this would enable Google to discover what sites have good potential before they have amassed quality links!

Kirby [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I wished (out loud) for Google to find a way to let us pull unwanted domains out of search without interrupting our results and that came true as well using personalized search.

William Ricker [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

What Google Groups improvements could we ask for? Maybe renaming it to "Google Search Usenet Newsgroups," since that's what it is, not a competitor to Yahoo or MSN groups. Google doesn't control the hierarchy or the main content sources – it's far more distributed than say Yahoo:Groups.

Google Groups is a search, not a service – it's a web search and reply GUI for the distributed Usenet newsgroups that have existed since long before Tim Berners-Lee thought up this Web stuff, since before the backbone was open to non-schools, since before DNS was domain-ified. (1982? 1980?) Google bought DejaNews. DejaNews was the Usenet archive and search that was added onto Usenet Newsgroups when someone married a complete feed archive with a early search engine.

Some folks using real newsreaders are starting to screen out Usenet News postings coming from Google Groups users, the way we ignored postings from AOL during the year of endless September.

At least it's back to as functional as DejaNews was when they bought it, or a bit better – and (until my $DayJob blocked it) I could search web, news, usenet-news, and images with one form, click click click.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!