Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Turns 20 (fiction)  (View post)

Varun [PersonRank 3]

Tuesday, September 9, 2008
15 years ago10,709 views

Phillip, a real hilarious one. I have an idea for you, develop this more, you can write an alternate-future google demise novella, which shows the google's decline and it affects on the world.

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Great story!

Warner Crocker [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Great stuff, Phillip.

Jeton [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Do you have plans to write a book?
I would surely recommend you do so sir.

Excellent story!

Geoff Jones [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Wonderful and all so believable!

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

philipp, you rock! ;p

Eddie [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Marissa became Micro$oft emply Matt Cutt became independent Blogger!!!!!!!!!!!!! . Amazing ur imagination is really Eccentric . is Micro$oft Paid u for this fiction :D :D :D :P :P :P

drtimofey [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

...and somewhere along those years AOL domain auctioned off for 10 bucks.

matt [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

this article is stupid and speculative.... It's also insulting to assume that the LHC is somehow going to emit green vapor into the atmosphere. The "World Senate?" where'd that come from? No one can honestly say that China a country who censors access to the internet is going to lead a web revolution. That idea is preposterous. No one wants to see google fail as much as I do but this article is just stupid. Although the idea of M$ releasing an opensource operating system is an awesome idea it will never happen unless they somehow acquire a much much larger internet audience. Since the M$ Yahoo deal is pretty much off the table (despite the assumptions of your article) unless Microsoft can come up with a killer web app, they're operating systems won't go opensource until they figure out a way to make money elsewhere.

Crybaby [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Wow, this brings tears to my eyes....of sadness, of course

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]matt:
There seems to be a good chance that you missed the point of the article. Or maybe just the title which delineates it was fiction. Some of the ideas are interesting, some are less so...but all in all, its nice to envision some possible scenarios.

Less exciting, but it seems that Google's actual demise will get kicked off when it starts to lose the cool factor. When the scoff we reserve for @aol.com accounts get passed on to the gmail ones...And it will happen eventually...Customers are fickle.

alan p [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Most Excellent. Didn't Marissa Mayer go to Facebook first before joining Microsoft though, before Facebook went into Ch 11 following the Beacon Data Sale class action suit?

Ernie H. [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Ha ha, who else saw the parallels with the largest dance off and, say, the largest yodel and a certain other giant corporation? I sure did.

bll [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

love this fiction. for the [snip] matt's comment there. perhaps it only takes one or two of the predictions to tumble the largest software dominance in the world today ;)

ahh...love the survival of the fittest story...this shows how much of those intangible and bureaucracy things (privacy, senate, internet laws on different countries, yada yada yada) will affect the winners and losers.

keep it coming philipp, very entertaining as usual.

Stefan Kr. [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I love it. Fictions shows how fragile the world, as we know it, is. Dramatic changes are to be exspected in the next 10 years. Your story reminds us, to think about that...

Karthik [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

A back reference to the prophetic "Google Turns 20(function)" story around late 2008 would have made it even better :)

Stefan [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Great!
I think the baidu scenario is the most realistic one.

Carfeu [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Great read. Congrats.

AndrewJ [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Great piece. Really enjoyed that. It should be added as a fun postscript to the next print run of Vise & Malseed's "Google Story"

Marius [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Wow, reading this was a blast. I only wish it could come true

Boomh [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

""...in 2008, Google.com used to be the site you’d check when you weren’t sure you had internet..."

And here I thought I was the only one who did it. Imagine that.

无望的猪 [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Great stuff,but we,Chinese users never agree #9,
you don't know baidu,and most Chinese commercial web site ,
they are shits,i have to they shits everyday

Peter Huesken [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I also think the submerging of 70% of Google´s floating data centers between 2013-2015 had something to do with Google´s downfall...

Tom Wells [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Very poorly written, but good ideas nonetheless.

Affan Laghari [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Excellent copy, Philipp!
But I don't agree with you on Matt Cutts. I think he will simply get fed up fighting and will join Earl and Syndik8 perhaps!
And that may be yet another major blow to G.

Boris Zilberman [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

You know what would happen if Google fell? Nothing. People would go to a new website on the internet to find search results...progress moves forward in a timeline and constantly reinvents itself as a time appropriate entity, kind of like Antonio Banderas's character in Interview with the Vampire.

hawkman [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Vote Phillip for President of the World Senate! =)

Edi Budimilic [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Great fiction story Philip! I would not like to see Google go down but would be great to see Windows go free/opensource :)

Yaarik [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Exactly why Google will not go bust by 2018!

Colin Skarak [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

"Very poorly written, but good ideas nonetheless." – Tom Wells

I completely agree. The scenarios made me wonder, but the sentences made me wince.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

> I completely agree. The scenarios made me wonder, but
> the sentences made me wince.

If you give me more details and specifics, I'll have something to work on. I'm no native speaker of English so I always appreciate corrections and other style tips. You can also email info[put at-character here]blogoscoped.com

Andew.CF [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Great!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!