Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Why I think Google Chrome sucks

[Anonymous] [PersonRank 4]

Monday, September 15, 2008
15 years ago15,836 views

Features of Google Chrome (on http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/zh-CN/features.html)

1, one place for everything:
Really? Wheres "This?" wheres "that?" why isn't "it" working?

2, New homepage
Im sure, without knowing this is chrome, people would believe this is a new version of Speed dail.

3, App shortcut
Thats nice... but why not get more choice and free up some space on desktop? Useless.

4, Moveable Tabs
Its great – only if it will not freeze my PC for 5 minutes

5, Crash control
Its microsoft's idea

6, incognito mode
Its microsoft's idea

7, Site blocklist
Good for your mum....

8, Instant bookmarks
Its mozilla's idea

9, Get settings
Why not use the "SAME" bookmark system?

10, Download
I would like to know a percentage, like 38% done!!!

Most features, is Microsoft or Mozilla's idea or others idea. I only find task manager useful. Most users don't even know IE8 yet. So they just stole them! PS: its logo has the colors that is in microsofts logo. Giving them criedits, maybe?

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Chrome has been in development for two years. IE8 hasn't. However, both were in development without any public discussion for quite a while.

What does this suggest? That there is one main direction browsers are going, and that's up. Attacking a browser because the competitors have the similar features is a poor idea.

Ok, I did write a response to every single one of your points, but I'm going to ditch that and leave it at this. If Chrome didn't have any of the features you've listed, what's the point of it? Google created a browser that features the best of the rest, and personally, they're all the features I like and now I can have them in one browser.

Nb: Chrome hasn't crashed for me at all.

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

who said Microsoft has ideas?!!!

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Martin Porcheron
<<Chrome hasn't crashed for me at all>>

Really? Here, Chrome crashes several time per hour: especially on sites like jiwa.fr, youtube.com, docs.google.com (so many times!), finance.google.com (the graph kills Chrome every time I approach it) and many other. It's often because of plugin problems, and I'm a "heavy user", but I don't understand why I get so many frozen tabs / crashes.... Thus, I don't really benefit from the tab "sandbox" as the whole browser goes kaputt. Any idea to fix this? (I use Chrome on three different XP computers and the latest Chrome version. I've also tested Chromium but faced the same issues).

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Never for me. Not once, and on vista too!

Zim [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Ok, saying things like "incognito mode it's a microsoft idea" and that the logo colors are from microsoft IS DUMB.
And you are wrong with "crash control was Microsoft's idea". They invented (and keep on enhancing) "crashes" (the lovely BSoD).
I think you don't know what you are talking about.
Chrome is far from being perfect, but it's so much better than IE. And it's free software, buddy.

Jeremy [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Dragging tabs works fine for me?

Think you should write something about how slow your computer is... not the browser.

I have had one crash (been using it from day one).

Oh and please tell me you have never used a good idea someone used before you?

think someone has a case of hateritis

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Jeremy

Even if his machine is slow the browser must offer good performance like Firefox.

I can't count how many crashes i had

brinke guthrie [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

is it just me, or does the title of this thread seem not so classy?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

From my experience, the best browser for slow machines is Opera.

Minimum configuration for Opera 9:
20 MB of free disk space
Any system running Windows 95 (or later)
http://www.opera.com/support/search/view/386/

Troy [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

.Chrome's main reason for existence is to push the envelope in the browser arena. Have they borrowed concepts from other browsers? Absolutely! And will they eventually improve those same ideas? I certainly hope so.

Let's not forget that Chrome is still in beta. Crashes are probably inevitable as its development continues. And perhaps as we get to use approved "add-ins", this browser will have many features that make it a solid, standalone, and fully customizable product.

I enjoy using chrome. I use it on a Pentium III, Dell Lattitude (upgraded to XP) that's over five years old. This is the first browser that is not a resource hog on my relic of a machine. I greatly look forward to its continued development.

Gil [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

chrome is pretty bad but i'll keep using it because it's google. the worst part is if you open up multiple flash movies in different tabs the browser hangs and crashes.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Gil:
I don't think the browser crashes. It's likely that the Flash plug-in crashes.

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Ionut Alex. Chitu

I remarked a behavior in Chrome. it does not display the pages part by part. what it does is to hang and then flash the page at once. this makes it stops frequently especially in a slow machine.

I used it on a intel P3 700MHz and it is really very annoying. even if Firefox is slower but it never crash or hang.

the the problem is not in flash plug-in since in firefox those problems never occur.

andy knows best [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

chrome..nope mozilla chrome.thats correct i believe check your hard drive under program files if you have firefox installed version s 1.5 up to 2.0 sure enough is the core components of firefox not called chrome by any chance.
mr google saying there browsers called chrome hmm where did that code come from i know open source..

jon [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Nothing new in that browser.... even the interface is stolen (mix of M$ and opera).
I guess when the companies become billion $ domains, they stop wasting time on ideas, they just steal them from small players like opera.
I will continue using opera and firefox 3.

About the speed, yes google chrome was once fastest... FF3.1 alpha is almost there.....

mike [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

You, anon, are stupid. Even in their comics they give credit to past browsers saying that they used many ideas from them. 'it' is the homepage. Get a better connection or computer and maybe your computer won't freeze so much.... You, anon, are stupid.

Manoj [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

It's not even a real browser. That's what happens when you make web designers to do a browser :p

Rama [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Chrome eats away lots of the system resources when flash plays on more than one tab. CHROME sucks.... never expected this from google.....highly disappointing....

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Rama: it's great that Flash can no longer bring down the browser. By putting Flash in its own process, it's inevitable that the browser will use more memory.

George Mathew [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Chrome? I'm not going to let it execute in my CPU!
No Way!
What does it do? show each tab in a separate process?
Never heard such a dumb idea before....

Mike Hunt [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Personally I don't like it, I'm ok using FF OP and IE and beside, chrome is slowing my system down when there are animated gifs and flash content.

Jerry Bents [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I have been using Chrome for several weeks now and while I like the user interface, it crashes constantly and gradually uses up system resources as new web pages are opened. I will discontinue use of the product until Google improves their browser substantially.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Today I tried to clear a bookmark shortcut (which I had originally imported from Firefox) but after some annoying tries it still didn't work. First, I had to show the bookmarks bar, then delete every bookmark one by one (there might be a better obvious way but I didn't find it). I also deleted all private data for all time. Still, the shortcut keyword was in, and what's worse – it even affected URLs containing the keyword... meaning I type "http: //example" (it was on localhost, so no ".com") but it would always go http: //someRandomOtherSite.com" because I once had the keyword "example" associated with someRandomOtherSite.com. I'll try reinstalling and will make sure to not import anything from Firefox.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

OK, not even reinstalling worked, all my Chrome settings are as they were before. Now this is odd.

Clare M [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I'm using Chrome and enjoying it generally but it is frustrating how often it hangs when watching streaming video – YouTube, iPlayer etc. The shockwave plugin crashes and then you end up closing it all down and starting again anyway... At least it restarts quicker than Firefox!

I've taken to watching videos in Firefox, when I remember!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!