Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[Project 10 to the 100] New Domain, New Google Project?  (View post)

gary price [PersonRank 10]

Monday, September 15, 2008
15 years ago16,415 views

Any idea what this recently registered domain might signal? A new Google project or service?
The domain is: Project10tothe100.com.

http://Project10tothe100.com (currently 404) was first registered to Google (via a domain registration firm) a few weeks ago (August 18, 2008) and was moved to Google name servers last Friday.

15 years ago #

oops. The domain was registered on August 28, 2008 NOT August 18th.

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

A quick guess:
bringing 10 (Megabytes?) to several hundred million people.
That would be that recently launched satellite project

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

10^100=1 googol

15 years ago #

Nice catch CIA. So is Project (10^100) Google an actual project or just a new domain?

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Could be Google's celebration of being ten years old.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Here's a possible clue, from page 17 of the Google Chrome comic book:

http://i33.tinypic.com/fcib88.png

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Here's an interesting alternative clue, although it's a real "long-shot".

In Cory Doctorow's novel "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom" he refers several times to "Ten to the hundred years" as the amount of time until the heat death (end) of the universe. And guess what – the central theme of the novel is about backups of people's entire life, their entire existence:

“See you in ten to the hundred,” Dan said, and headed to the
   airlock. I started after him, but Jeanine caught my hand.

“He hates long good-byes,” she said.

“I know,” I said, and watched him go.

The universe gets older. So do I. So does my backup, sitting
   in redundant distributed storage dirtside...

http://craphound.com/down/Cory_Doctorow_-_Down_and_Out_in_the_Magic_Kingdom.htm

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

404? I get a server not found

Pierre S [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

http://gigaom.com/2008/09/09/google-invests-in-satellite-based-internet-startup/
I was talking about that, and although the comic trail seems sensible, I'd like to push that one too

katra [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

it's a project they launched on how to help people. like people helping people. they are going to announce it on their anniversary

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

it is online
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgSRwOZtDQ8

andro_ID [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

tony/philipp, can you rename this thread "project10tothe100"?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

(Done, thanks for the suggestion Andro_ID!)

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

"Pay it Forward" Google style. :)

Above 15 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Ericson Smith [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

More importantly, how much is that investment worth now?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I like this. I hope something really great comes of it.

15 years ago #

Here are some of the screenshots from Google's timeline. The fourth one is interesting:

http://blogoscoped.com/files/google-10th-homepage-1.png
"10 May 2000 – Google search features a new drop-down menu for 10 languages next to the search box."

http://blogoscoped.com/files/google-10th-homepage-2.png
"11 July 2000 – The search index includes more than 1 billion items."

http://blogoscoped.com/files/google-10th-homepage-3.png
"31 March 2001 – The Google logo is now centered on the page; we also offer a catchy slogan each day, outlined in red."

http://blogoscoped.com/files/google-10th-homepage-4.png
"27 November 2001 – 'Advanced Search Options' and 'Languages and Filters' are the only links above the search box, aligned to the left. 'Google Search' and 'I’m feeling lucky' are the only buttons below, aligned left."

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Data of timeline come from http://www.google.com/corporate/timeline/cse/ (we published an article about that last month)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here] Colin

I love that movie!

Seems like a good idea...i guess..

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Good idea, but what can one do with 2 million $

Veky [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

>> Wikipedia says “physicist and broadcast personality Carl Sagan estimated that writing a googolplex in numerals ... would be physically impossible, since doing so would require more space than the known universe occupies.”

Well, if you have a number that's 1 followed by more zeros than the atoms in the known universe, it's obvious that its writing in numerals would require more space than the known universe occupies. Do you really need Carl Sagan for that? :-D

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Veky

You could attempt it using a computer with a big enough hard drive :P

Martin [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Funny enough, the timeline does not work with Google Chrome, it seems.

Douglas Brochier [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I have entered a contest by the DOD to invent a wearable energy device for the the deployed troops and to power the devices required to do a job.
I feel that even if we win "TEAM MARTYBECK" it is probably nothing compared to the advances in technology gained by the new patents that will be generated.
Oct. 4 will be a openen event to all at twentynine palms. below is a list of tethe top 48 teams now competing.

http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=12206
Glen were in the finalists

The 48 final teams participating in the Wearable Power Prize are:
Team Name Location
-Adaptive Materials Inc. Ann Arbor, Mich.
-Advanced Warfighter Research Laboratory Alexandria, Va.
-AMI Ann Arbor, Mich. -NLSC Plymouth, Minn.
-Aviani Los Alamos, N.M.
-MIT PowerPack Cambridge, Mass.
-NPL Top Power Champaign, Ill.
-Castle Research and Clarkson University Canton, N.Y.
-OceanStar Investments Laguna Niguel, Calif.
-CFXB Pasadena, Calif. -Pandora San Diego, Calif.
-DuPont/SFC Smart Fuel Cell M-25 Team Wilmington, Del.
-Phoroneus Power Systems Somerville, Mass.
-EaglePicher Technologies, LLC Joplin, Mo.
-Power2Go4Now Redding, Calif.
-ETH Wearable Power Project Zurich, Switzerland
-RapidFire Glenpool, Okla.
-Excellatron Atlanta, Ga.
-RAYOVAC POWER TEAM Madison, Wis.
-E-Z Green Battery Team McLean, Va.
-SIE Tech Hampton, Va.
-Final Connor Deltona, Fla.
-Team Arundel Cheyenne, Wyo.
-General Dynamics C4 Systems-Medis/MORE Taunton, Mass.
-Team Battery 08 Erie, Pa.
-Horizon Manufacturing, LLC. Atlanta, Ga.
-Team Borta Warrenton, Va.
-Horizontal Oscillator Marion, N.C.
-Team ENCHARGE Wellington, Fla.
-Mechanical Knight Lehi, Utah
-Hummingbird Team North Bethesda, Md.
-Team Lightning San Antonio, Texas
-Hyperion Seattle, Wash.
-Team MartyBeck Manhattan Beach, Calif.
-International Team -
Super Lasting Battery for the US Warrior
Chicago, Ill. -Team Tesla Conyers, Ga.
-JENNY 600S Team Middleburg, Va.
-Team Ultralife Newark, N.Y.
-Lasker Technology Claremont, Calif.
-Team Zero G Portland, Ore.
-Light Weights Atascadero, Calif.
-Tucson Embedded Systems, Inc. Tucson, Ariz.
-Lockheed Martin Dallas, Texas
-UltraCell Corporation Livermore, Calif.
-Look Engineering Jonesboro, Maine
-WAAP Vancouver, BC, Canada
-Lou & Belle Fayetteville, N.C.
-Woods Electrical Detroit, Mich.
-MIT PowerPack Cambridge, Mass.

maurine goodenough [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Just saw your idea on TV. GREAT IDEA.
people need to be aware of a design of operation that was incorperated under the laws of New York in 1934 that was developed by a group of scientists and engineers who called themselves The Technical Alliance.It took them 14 years to design a way of operation without the use of money.The govrnment has even developed a misleading web site to try to throw people off by using a simular name.
Their advice is to establis
h the facts and use science like they did and you will see the capitalistic system has collapsed as they predicted. Their project studied the properties of money and found this would happen due to the greed it allowed.
They found by going to energy accounting ie. ergs or kilajoles as everything contains energy. This would solve all the worlds main problems, greed, crime etc. Everything could then move forward as wast would be eliminated and all needs could be provided as a a right of citizenship with what they refered to a energy cirtificate. This would give all things needed and would expire at the end of each year. The full study is available on their web site. Technocracy.ca

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

And what's the top result for [Project 10 to the 100]? ;-)

http://www.google.com/search?q=Project+10+to+the+100

Note: Google's project is actually called "Project 10 to the 100th" – looks like that domain got snapped up today:

http://whois.domaintools.com/project10tothe100th.com

Jason [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I emailed Google to see if they wanted it back at cost. Could be an X site in the wrong hands.

cameron devon hrind [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

you no how thousands of people die in car accdents each year form drunk driving ,deers coming out in front of cars, people talking on there cell phones or people are not watching whats going on around them well my ieda is to create some type of sensor rails to go on the side of roads to let people now that something is going wrong around them and place little screens in cars that can send a message to the driver and make sure that there aware of what going on around them that way less people get killed and more lives get saved.

15 years ago #

> Note: Google's project is actually called "Project 10 to the
> 100th" – looks like that domain got snapped up today:

IIRC they changed this in the site's title tags. I noticed the "...100th" in the project FAQ but the title element of project10tothe100.com just had "Project 10 to the 100". Can't find any homepage cache other than the nearly blank "Greetings" page right now though, I'd be more sure seeing a cache...

Dave Shaw [PersonRank 5]

15 years ago #

How original is this name do you think? I found this... http://10over100.org/ called '10 over 100' which tries to achieve a similar aim but with different method (not everyone has $10m!).

Clearly Google's idea is great..but I wonder how original their name is?

I've written more about it on my blog...

http://bloggle.org.uk/2008/09/25/google-manage-to-do-no-evil-even-whilst-stealing-ideas/

Incredible [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Well, the creator of the idea doesn't recive a penny, and besides that, he/she doesn't even receive CREDITS.

And don't start the selfishness trick, it won't work, Google and the companies what may be subcontracted to make the idea real, will fill their pockets with even more money and clearly keep all credits.

Philanthropic disguise to make themselves even richer.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

What's wrong with making money off of helping people? The way i see it, yeah, Google is a corporation. A corporation's bottom line is to make money. I don't like corporations. I do like Google. They've (almost) always been able to make it good for them to do good for customers, people, and/or the world.

As for stealing the idea-- what's wrong with using a great idea like this? All information and ideas should be free anyways

raghuntaht reddy [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

i hava an idea "hydrolic car parking system" and "no polution bike with electric with dynomo"

sarvesh [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

i have an idea"we are use the car minimum"

sarvesh [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

we are the help poor people

Rohit Sinha [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I have an idea regarding primary education for kids.
The idea goes like this:
The companies should write the various alphabets on the packets of their products like A,B,C,D and so on so that the primary education can be in the reach of every person.We have to make sure that these products should be well in the reach of poor families(like salt,milk etc) for its optimum result.
This may be useful for the company also as they may get support from their respective governments.
This will help especially in poor countries where parents are not able to send their children to school.

Shashi Sharma [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

in my opinion population control is the best way to save & safe society, opportunity, energy, environment, health, education etc. because as on date natural resources are lesser day by day and human residential complexes are expanding towards animals in jungles and all this happening due to excess of population and less life sources all over world and if we overcome this chronicle problem like population then we will find overself in a changed world like heaven one day.

chandra kishor bhagat [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

in my opinion 6 things make world to a new world.
1 introduction
2.short story
3 presentation
4 threat
5 close
6 cost
in intoduction part world is defined by many scientiests or other person.basically it is made up of 6 things earth,water,air,fire,sky & human......
2nd thing is short story how can i make or convert world a to new world.don't copy to d others.all things do naturally.
3rd thing is my natural idea.if we want to make a new world.every human will have changed.if i will changed then the world will be changed.for dis type of changed not will be come in one day.if we r really want to new world than we will be found new planete or space.where d self made persons r available.mars is our 1st option.where i can found a new world.any other idea is not suitable to see which help me to convert a world to new world.dat solve.
4th thing is threat dat means fear of loss.when we will not loss to fear.we can make new world.
5th thing is close.how can i describe in dis human world.all gud things r done by a great opportunity.example of newtons law or take example of principle of energy.6 thing is cost.it is valuable.

heera gurung [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

to start the new beginning,we have to stop the whole things happenning in this earth.yes why we should wear warm clothe in winter,why we have to eat food when we are hungry,the whole process should be start in new pattern.we are just practicing only what our history teach us.so to do something we have to do all things in new pattern,we have to define this world in our own word.

siva kumar [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

hai freinds i would like to provide idea to save the world from poverty in all aspects

every educated person must educate 3 illeterates and plant one tree.

Michelene Benson [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Do you value your idea enough to get it off the shelf? Well then, strengthen your chances of changing the world by visiting and sharing your idea with www.kabbalahblog.info/2008/10/project-10-to-the-100-google.
There is strength in numbers – so let's put our great ideas together, create a superb proposal and Change the World!!

[Unlinked – Tony]

Shqiptar [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I have a question about google project 10/100
Can I run on background music of Eminem?

Dutch:
(Is het toegelaten als ik op achtergrond een muziek van Eminem laat draaien bij google project 10*100)

Vaji yegani [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

This is a great idea and I am sure it will result in something big and valuable.

I would appreciate if i get a feed back on my question. I have an idea and i filled out 90 per cent of the form and I had to leave and come back. I almost lost what I had filled out. Is there anyway we can save our work and finish up or do a touch up before we submit it.

Thanks

Dan [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Hi folks;

I submitted a proposal for Project Ingenesist. This is a new financial system where money is pegged to innovation – not gold, silver, or debt (like the current fianancial crisis).

It's a system and method for making knowledge tangible in Social Networks and outside the construct of corporations, banks, government – the ones that got us into trouble in the first place.

Everyone benefits because we'll be released from the shackles of debt economics. It's cool and I am hoping that people here would review it at

www.ingenesist.com (see 10^100 page)

Thanks

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!