Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google enter the energy industry as a major player

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, September 18, 2008
15 years ago3,203 views

Google is now in the energy industry – and not Google.org only.
We knew that Internet wasn't the only world of information Google wanted to conquer, but the "energy network" is one I didn't expect. This seems to be a good maner to diversify the revenue source (I don't see how they can insert ads in power lines...).

<<Cooperation between GE and Google to develop policy and technology solutions to some of our major energy challenges>>
Official blog post: http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2008/09/partnering-with-ge-on-clean-energy.html

This is great. But I want more information than what is said in the pdf (http://64.233.179.110/blog_resources/google_org_ge_energyfactsheet.pdf).

Can you confirm it's Google and not Google.org who's involved in the partnership (a major concern for investor)?

What's the form of partnership, especially for technology development (common labs? joint venture? new organization?)

--- Q&A (from the pdf) ---

Q: What are you announcing?

A: Cooperation between GE and Google to develop policy and technology solutions to some of our major energy challenges.

Q: Why Google and GE?

A: Both companies believe that our economic, environmental and security challenges require that we use electricity more efficiently,
generate it from cleaner sources, and electrify our transportation fleet. This 21st century electricity system must combine advanced energy technology — a major GE focus — and cutting edge information technology — a major Google focus. We believe that by combining our
efforts — along with other relevant businesses and industries — we can advance critical policy change in Washington and develop new technologies and services for consumers.

Policy partnership

Q: Why have you chosen to focus on advancing
policy?

A: Policy is a major impediment to building a 21st century electricity system. The current regulatory and economic model is failing to drive the innovation and investment we need in today’s electric grid. We will work to overcome regulatory and institutional barriers, and advocate for appropriate incentives.

Q: What policy changes are you advocating for?

A: Initially, we will work to ensure that significant new transmission capacity gets built to bring electricity from renewable sources to consumers and to build a smart electricity grid that will empower utilities and consumers to manage energy more efficiently and save money.

Q: How will you go about advancing your mission in Washington?

A: Our efforts will include analysis and development of specific policy proposals, alliance building, advocacy, information programs and public relations.

Q: What level of effort do you expect to put into this project?
A: We are working on a detailed implementation plan, but it’s clear that a public policy initiative of this magnitude will require a significant effort.

Q: Are you looking for help?

A: We’re not ready to start a broad-based organization to advance this agenda — but we will be looking to work with other companies and organizations focused on advancing policies critical to building a 21st century electricity system.

Technology collaboration

Q: How will you collaborate on technology?

A: GE and Google have complementary strengths and interests in technology. Initially, we will be collaborate in two areas: an advanced approach to geothermal technology called Enhanced Geothermal Systems (EGS) and technologies to enable the large-scale integration of plug-in vehicles into the grid.

Q: What will you do on EGS?

A: EGS is an advanced geothermal technology that could provide large-scale base-load renewable power all over the world. GE and Google are
exploring EGS-related technologies such as reservoir visualization and power conversion.

Q: What will you do on plug-ins?

A: In the area of plug-in vehicles we will initially explore enabling technologies including software, controls and services that help utilities
enhance grid stability and integrate plug-in vehicles and renewable energy into the grid.

15 years ago #

Pardon my English :(

15 years ago #

Do you think Google should change its mission statement, now?
<<Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful>>
The GE partnership doesn't really match this mission... But I really like it. Do you think it's a big move? The biggest Google's move since 1998?

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

There will be a video soon of the talk with Eric Schmidt and GE's CEO Jeff Immelt at Google's Zeitgeist conference.

I think this is a great idea for Google to get involved in. Power improvements also benefit them and all of their data centers. I can't wait till some of the ideas Google has had over computer power supplies finally makes it into the real world so consumers and companies can benefit from the power savings.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

The video is up http://blog.google.org/2008/09/partnering-with-ge-on-clean-energy.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSATfh3Jb3Q

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!