Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Iron Aims to Be Chrome With Better Privacy  (View post)

Roman [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, September 25, 2008
15 years ago4,299 views

Google Updater is easy to remove from autostarting with any AutoRun-managing tool, so it's not really that important issue.

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

The UI of Iron is in Deutsch only, I believe

JohnMu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

In my personal opinion, I think that the auto-updater is one of the most important components of a browser. That's one part I would definitely not disable.

Considering that one of the complaints that the German government had about Chrome was that it was in beta, it seems absurd to disable the mechanism that would allow issues to be fixed automatically.

John

USBman [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Does anyone know of a portable version of this new "Iron?"

....I know various people have had (various degress of) success with making portable versions of Chrome, and I'd like to try Iron if I could find a portable version.

xeen [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Yeah, auto updating is a nice and important feature, but why does it have to be via an auto started crapware on booting? Firefox manages this perfectly while running and if every software did this you can wait for 3 more minutes before you can actually use the computer.

Alexander Bloom [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I think it's not necessary to install Iron if you don't like the features listed in this post. Chromium doesn't include Google Update and the rest of the features (suggestions, crash reports, custom errors) can be disabled in the settings.

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I'm torn. On one hand I agree with Alexander Bloom and JohnMu (I definitely like the autoupdate to protect me against security holes). On the other hand, it's great that Chromium's license explicitly allows these sorts of modifications, so anyone who is even the least bit worried can choose to install Iron as well.

FĂ©rdinand Paccori [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

How much privacy do I have in Chrome? Some people say nothing
I just think this Chrome is a new toll from Google to make Google users more comfortable using Google products.
However, they do not know that privacy is lost in some ways using this and other Google products. I tried this new Chrome and I have to say that I enjoyed it, but stopped using it after finding out abot the privacy issues related to the use of the browser.
I'm not used to giving all my personal info and preferences to a company (I don't trust many people) and I won't get used to it.
Therefore, I consider this variation of GChrome, Iron, should be fine for me and I just hope I can give a try when I download it (dunno where the link is).

GiWY [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Thx for reporting about that, i added you as Source of my Article about this Topic.

giwy.wordpress.com

[Unlinked – Tony]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!