Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Maps UK Adds Traffic Information  (View post)

wratty [PersonRank 0]

Friday, September 26, 2008
15 years ago5,511 views

I can't see how you do this?

HOW?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Sorry, I probably should have included that in the post. Just click the "Traffic" button in the top right of the map.

blzeebob [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]wratty ... ditto – can't see the traffic info at all for Glasgow or Edinburgh – London has them tho' so I guess that counts as the whole of the UK for our American cousins....

15 years ago #

I get traffic for Manchester and Sheffield too. In fact, it's the whole of England. I've updated the post.

Skyhigh [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Woo! Finally.

I'm still waiting for the Google/Android SatNav.

GoogleMaps + GoogleTraffic + GoogleRide + GoogleTransit + Andriod + Internet Access = one hell of a sat nav.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

It has been put online 2 days ago. But I didn't know it was the whole of England. Wow, so much data!

jon bradford [PersonRank 2]

15 years ago #

why wait for sat nav – this stuff will be on your android handset from day 1 (I hope) – just need something to secure it to the windscreen (note to self – sell Garmin shares).

It wouldn't surprise me if we were to find street maps to go live in the uk before mid november – to coincide with the launch of android

15 years ago #

The problem with using Google Maps as SatNav is that if you lose your signal, you can't see where you are. This is a major flaw with the Maps application on the iPhone. Although you can see exactly where you are on the screen with the little blue circle positioned via GPS, you have no idea where you are if you can't download the maps tiles.

Perhaps they should allow to you download and cache a certain area if you know you're going to be visiting a particular area with bad mobile reception.

Matt Moran [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

It's not the whole of England – looking at the Birmingham area you get a wee bit of patchy info about the motorways round there – nothing about the A-Roads (which are by definition major roads) – so nothing of use to anyone commuting to & from work in Birmingham for example. C'mon Google – if you're going to do it, do a proper job, like the RAC.

Boris Jones [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Notice that http://www.highways.gov.uk/traffic/traffic.aspx also only hosts data for England.

devolution in action!
=> more public agencies need to be dealt with

Will Harris [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

doesn't appear very up to date though...

the bbc motorway travel news reports that "M25 Kent – Closed clockwise between J4, Orpington and J5 M26, because of an overturned vehicle." but there is nothing showing on google maps, and the bit that they have in red around J26 of the M25 has no problems according to all the other traffic services....

Bruce R [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

so where does the data come from, the RAC page has a feed direct from TrafficMaster. Is this the same data ? How often is it updated ?

Tim Blackburn [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

what is the data source of the new Google map traffic link button

I’m from the UK and interested to know where they gather this info/format/availability etc

Best Regards

DB

Comment by Tim Blackburn — October 16, 2008 @ 3:16 pm

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!