Edo van Royen [PersonRank 1]

Monday, September 29, 2008
15 years ago7,363 views

Hi guys,

Take a look at http://www.spudu.com , a super simple but effective replacement
for Google as a start page.

Essentially it's nothing more than a Google look-a-like with added
functionality, this makes that you don't lose out on Google's
simplicity, but get to use Spudu's added functionality.
When subscribed you can pick your own search engines or change links.

So nothing special, but comes in pretty handy for mainstream/casual users.

Edo

[Linked URL. -Philipp]

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

scam/spam/useless

15 years ago #

Wouter, thanks for your rather brief comment. What makes it useless in your eyes? I initially created Spudu for myself and some friends, and we just decided to throw it online to see what would happen. As I state, it's nothing special, but comes in handy for mainstream/casual users.
Yes it already exists, but I don't think in this clean "clutterfree" way, or am I wrong ? Any input is appreciated!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I thought it was nice that it's so uncluttered and simple (though that doesn't mean it's already useful, I guess it depends on the usefulness of the specific buttons...). The results are a bit ad-cluttered, though admittedly that's not Edo's doing but the Google Custom Search Engine... for instance, entering [test] brings up 3 top rows of of ads, pushing the organic results downways, whereas I see no top ads when doing a search in Google...

PS: Interestingly enough, there are many blank areas in the top ads which are clickable... this could cause accidental clicks.

Sander D [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Looks clean indeed, and nicely familiar to people who are used to Google.com at their homepage. Have you considered using Yahoo!'s Build Your Own Search Service for less cluttered – and probably more profitable – results?
http://developer.yahoo.com/search/boss/

15 years ago #

Sander, we are actually currently considering Yahoo BOSS, thanks for the tip!

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Well it does bring more to the table than i originally though, but still....it doesn't bring much.

But hey, i only use google to search.

Marcin Sochacki (Wanted) [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Philipp: Edo's using AdSense For Search, not Google Custom Search Engine: https://www.google.com/adsense/static/en_GB/WsOverview.html

That's why the ad box looks different, I think AFS is almost an abandoned product for Google. When I was at Google I tried reporting a bug regarding AFS and I was told almost nobody is currently working on it. The bug still exists today, BTW.

Regarding Spudu, I don't see anything super innovative there, one can probably customize iGoogle/etc. in similar way, but without referral links, which make some cash for the author.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!