Saturday, October 4, 2008
15 years ago5,305 views

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2008/10/audio-knols.html
eg:http://knol.google.com/k/ari-green/multiple-sclerosis/YUrtrKow/OBPjsg

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

The "Listen" option is enabled for the Multiple Sclerosis knol:
http://knol.google.com/k/ari-green/multiple-sclerosis/YUrtrKow/OBPjsg#

An interesting thing about that knol is that you can click "Share" and see the number of page views at the bottom left of the popup.

http://i34.tinypic.com/i36q7c.png

In other knols, this same message is displayed but the view count always seems to be zero.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I windier if knol in the future will do solely video knols of seminars like TED or something... Just a though.

Above 3 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I didn't mean it would host TED videos, but that it would do something similar to TED.com. Also I meant wonder not windier :D

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

This indicates that Google's text-to-speech engine understand the semantic of sentences and paragraphs better other engines, thanks to Google enormous database and collective intelligence.

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I am thinking whether Google may provide such function as a service to other web pages, particularly Wikipedia. Sometimes I just want to rest my eyes when reading the Web content.

Do you think Google may do this in near future?

Ramibotros [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Don't forget that Wikipedia already started audiofying content through user-submitted audio readings. It's the usual inefficient way of Wikipedia that relies on great amounts of data.

Antonino S [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

It is great that google has started on that road. At www.dixerit.com we are speech-enabling hundreds of sites and can cover more than 20 languages, offering high quality audios, just as easily.
For example, check red.es or ticinoonline.ch for Spanish and Italian.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

(Just to add, Google confirmed it's "automated text-to-speech". But they don't "have any additional details or future plans to share at this time".)

Serge [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Hmm, this "Google" voice doesn't sound to me like a big improvement over other TTS engines. In fact it has the same pronunciation problems. For example listen to the word neurological in the beginning of Multiple Sclerosis article and compare to Mike voice at AT&T natural voice demo page (google for it).

Sanjeev Kumar Dangi [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I don't really understand why they offered this new service. What you can do with knol, the same thing you can do with blogger. And i am suspicious many people will paste the contents of their blogs as knol articles to create a lot of duplicates.

Roy Lindemann [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

At ReadSpeaker we paved the way to the audio web back in1999 and have over 2000 web sites using our web based speech-enabling technology. You can listen to our service by going to the International Herald Tribune for example (www.iht.com). We cover more than 20 languages ranging from UK and US English to French, German, Japanese, Spanish, etc. You can check us out at www.voice-corp.com.

Max Gonzales [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Yeah, I'v seen such service on the City of San Francisco website (www.sfgov.org). I think that is readspeaker as well. Pretty awesome service!

Ahron Shmuel [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

For those of you who forgot, Google said that this was the point of their GOOG-411 service. This TTS engine sounds exactly like the one provided by VoiceXML, the language that goog411 (sounds like) it was written in. The only difference is that this one is reading bigger chunks of text. Google's FAQ for goog411 i believe still says that the point of the ad- free service is to train their speech recognition technology. It also provided a good testing ground for TTS, I guess.

I think Google seems to have some big plans for speech, with does fit with their goal of making the world's information available to everyone, even the blind. Your suggestions seem like very strong possibilities.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Ahron, but Goog-411 was to train their speech-to-text (e.g. video search), not their text-to-speech (like Knol), Google said*... or do you think it's also useful for the latter?

* http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2007-12-17-n30.html

Ahron [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

They also had to read names (was their a details option too?) of businesses to users, and not completely make foreign names incomprehensible. Google seems to really want to do something with voice. Maybe include Grandcentral for something?

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

The quality is nice, I think and I believe that people outside of major English countries are more satisfied :)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!