Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail Tip: Sending empty messages

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, October 16, 2008
15 years ago3,509 views

I often send messages where the subject is the entire message (e.g. "Want to grab lunch at 12:30?"), and Gmail would always prompt me to add in body text.

Now, however, you can add "EOM" or "(EOM)" at the end of the subject line (short for End Of Message), and Gmail will silently send the message without the unnecessary prompt.

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/tip-sending-empty-messages.html

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Frankly, this EOM-flag is a kludge unworthy of the client, tacked onto some code that shouldn't been there to begin with.

Instead, Gmail ought to determine, ie. make an informed choice, whether to send a subject-only msg silently, or prompt to remind user of possibly-empty body based on more criteria than the latter. E.g. event sequence of (silently measurable) time lapse between invoking a new "Compose message," filling in of the subject line, and pressing "Send" should be distinct enough for Gmail to know whether to treat it as "one-liner msg/ do not bother the user with prompts" letter. Or something to that effect.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Does this quick-fix scale at all? Germans enter "NT" ("no text"), for instance.

Gmail has started a couple of features recently which seem to underperform in the real world (a world full of different languages and alternating phrases used), e.g. their no-attachment-checker Labs feature.

Kevin Fox [PersonRank 4]

15 years ago #

Wow, I'd never heard of that workaround before, but it's exactly the kind of one-off feature an engineer would put in to Gmail and that the team would silently push.

Bilal [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I would prefer a "send immediately" botton

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!