Friday, October 17, 2008
15 years ago5,339 views

Was this post supposed to make sense?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

A tab in a tab in a tab.

Adam L [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

For those playing along at home, we have an iGoogle tab inside a Google apps tab (I'm counting the Web/Images/Maps/... as a taskbar) inside a Chrome tab inside a Windows window.

joey [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

huh?

Luke [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Ha, it's so normal now that people don't even notice it.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

It's "clash of the operating systems": Windows on the left and Google at the top.

Tristan Louis [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

If Roger is right, the picture should also show facebook in the middle for their taskbar :)

Calvin Ngan [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

well, am confused, why don't we ask the guy that captured the screen shot? after all, his email is on the upper right of the image. no harm asking.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Tristan: No, facebook will always be subservient to one of: Microsoft, Google, Opera, Apple...

The browser is Google's "Trojan Horse", their way to get their "operating system" onto everyone's computer.

Doug [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

This photo captures what I think is a big usability problem with the Web these days. There are too many different ways to subdivide our attention between different tasks. Besides windows, we now have tabs on top of windows, tabs within windows, and gadgets within pages. Not to mention the higher-level dividers that some people use, like virtual screens and sometimes multiple displays. Some people are able to use all of these dividers effecticely, but they're starting to make me dizzy... and a little nostalgic for the days of single-user operating systems on PCs :-)

Johann [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

I agree with Doug. I'm overwhelmed by all this GUI nonsense. I'm going back to command line *nix and Dr. DOS!

Veky [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Johann:
What, triply nested shells make more sense to you? :-P

This is something you can do in any UI paradigm. And in fact, I've seen it more often in textual interfaces.

mantrid [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

yeah one day I came across a though that Chrome instances on the Windows taskbar are like Desktops in Gnome/KDE, and tabs inside Chrome are like buttons on the Windows taskbar..

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!