Google Blogoscoped

Forum

New in Labs: Canned Responses  (View post)

MZaza [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, October 22, 2008
15 years ago6,128 views

<<If you're sick of typing out the same reply every time someone emails you with a common question, now you can compose your reply once and save the message text with the "Canned responses" button. Later, you can open that same message and send it again and again.>>

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/new-in-labs-canned-responses.html

Above 1 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

DAN [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Hotmail Rules... Gmail drools.

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Your Screen shot is cool :)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I like it too!

If M$ allowed us to grab emails from Hotmail to Gmail (through POP3) I'm pretty sure Gmail market share would increase quickly.

Mike [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I've been asking for this feature for a while. A for effort, C for execution. The interface is awkward and the fact that it overwrites everything in the textbox makes it borderline useless for my needs and I'm sure the needs of many people like me.

As an alternative I've been using a Firefox add-on called "Signature". There's a simple hack you can find in the comments at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/578 to make it work with FF3.

Of course having the feature built-in to Gmail is ideal. Since I use up to three computers at work and one at home, making sure all my snippets are the same on each computer is a task in its self.

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

i'm still waiting for Gmail team to implement Labs into Google Apps Mail.

benzrad zhu [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

i desperate for the feature to include html image in canned responses function, so as to let me have rich signature. i don't like to use firefox, i just want chrome, but within gmail, i can't find a way to include my live signature in my emails. sigh!
who knows why gmail such a long time don't support rich content live signature?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

<<If M$ allowed us to grab emails from Hotmail to Gmail (through POP3) I'm pretty sure Gmail market share would increase quickly.>>

Notice how Microsoft relies on holding their customers hostage (in this case, stay with us because we won't let you switch to GMail unless you leave behind everything in your current email account) while Google doesn't need to resort to such practices.

<<Hotmail Rules... Gmail drools.>>
Yeah, read this and the top comments:
(3414 diggs) http://digg.com/software/What_is_the_best_free_email_account_Google_s_Gmail

"Captain Obvious comes to the rescue." +869 diggs

"I get no spam on gmail vs 10 on yahoo per day" +473 diggs

"Anybody who doesn't already know this doesn't deserve Gmail." +373

"Gmail is incredible, if you're still using hotmail, seriously:

Go fuck yourself" +244 diggs

Mike [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

To Josue R.:

I have Google Apps for two domains. One has Labs and the other doesn't. The one that does I've been using since Google Apps launched. Back when it was called Google For Your Domain or something along those lines.

There's an option under domain management to activate advanced features. It doesn't mean they'll be instantly available but you'll be part of their roll outs of new features.

Tomas Kapler [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

just one note about labs ang google apps – their functions are language-dependant. So if you got e.g. french language (or maybe even british, not sure about this), they may be not visible and you must switch to american english

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]Mike and @Tomas Kapler:

I too have been on Google Apps, since its first launch, i have several accounts but non that i see active with Labs. Just that i dont understand why the Gmail team cannot communicate with Google Apps team on porting the code over to the Google Apps servers/etc.

Could any Googler here pass the note to them? Hope they can answer at least why the long delays to port features from Gmail to Google Apps... is it technica/server specs differences or internal decisions not to port gmail features to Google Apps (isolate users?) ??... at least knowing just a bit will allow me to sleep peacefully at night.

roger [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

I hope that is just an example and nothing more. Not replying to hotmail users!, how lame is that ??

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Roger, I can assure you that was an example and nothing more.

Itch [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Oh no, Tony: I took your idea very seriously, and 63 canned responses have been sent this way since I've read your post.

4 contacts have since register to Gmail. Hopefully, no friends are missing!

:D

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!