Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Major Source of Online Scams and Spams Knocked Offline

que [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, November 12, 2008
15 years ago2,265 views

Is this too good to be true? They claim to have knocked out 75% of all online junk email which was emanating from this company (McColo Corp., a San Jose, Calif., based Web hosting service).
Checking my spam folder, I've averaged 6-12 spam emails a day over the past couple of weeks thru Nov. 11. Today, I only have 2 spams so far.

"A U.S. based Web hosting firm that security experts say was responsible for facilitating more than 75 percent of the junk e-mail blasted out each day globally has been knocked offline following reports from Security Fix on evidence gathered about suspicious activity emanating from the network."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2008/11/major_source_of_online_scams_a.html

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Very good work, Brian Krebs!!

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I've noticied really less spam today too! :-)

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

I just hope the hole won't be filled by some another guy. But I have to say the figure is hard to believe. That would mean a dramatic decrease in power consumption.

que [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

This looks like the real deal. As of now, I have only 3 spam emails today – less than half of my typical dose. My buddy noticed the same effect, under half of what he normally gets. I'm going to see if our IT admins at work have noticed any decline in volume as well.

Others are noticing significant drops as well...
http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2008/11/12/1653833.aspx

In addition to spam email, this company's client list also includes some of the most disreputable cyber-criminal gangs in business today.

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Idem here. From 30 to 5 per day. Wow.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!