Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Calendar, Groups Integration Into Gmail?  (View post)

Sirul [PersonRank 0]

Sunday, December 11, 2005
18 years ago

I think the contact group option could also refer to an oficial way to add a group of contacts to mailto by only typing the group name.

I know we can do it know with the trick of the concatenated email address, but an easy way to nromal users could be fine and that's what I think this option is for.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You're absolutely right. I corrected the text.

More integration would be nice. [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Talk, Gmail, Calendar,Groups, and Reader should seamlessly work together and have more interface similarity. Base, Maps, Local, and Earth should also be seamless.

I'd LIKE them to just combine the Accounts page with the portal page (or drop the Accounts page all together – it's basically just a link list).

Then again, I also have issues with their rich clients: I like having a flurry of lightweight, fast programs that do specific things and stay out of the way. I don't like that they seem to be unaware of each others' existences. Like seeing my Gmail contacts on in Google Earth. Or maybe I could useTalk to chat with my friends list in Blogger. There are hunreds of clever ways to integrate their services (even Orkut) without folding them all into Google Desktop. It would be nice if they did them more.

Microsoft and Yahoo are beating the PANTS off them as far as integration goes (though they could also do better as well), but I don't want to migrate all my data just yet.

PS. thanks for everything
--JM

Brock [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

JM,

Yahoo and MS have been moving faster at integration, but not better, IMHO. The Google Apps that come out aren't always as full-featured as I like, but they're clean & uncluttered. It's a matter of aesthetics, and one I appreciate. YMMV, of course.

I've realized lately though that Gmail is the 'cornerstone' of my Google experience. It just puts the other email clients to shame. Talk is so basic that MSN & Yahoo Messengers beat the pants off it; Search is about the same, results-wise; and while Maps is nice Yahoo and MSN have caught up. It it weren't for Gmail I'd probably have moved full time to Yahoo.

varun [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

It goes into google's scheme of things to integrate all of them. After all it is a small step in an awaited Google OS(an OS on the network)

Jamcnair [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Brock,

You are absolutely right. Gmail is pretty much why I also stick with Google. Groups 2 has also adopted a similar look and feel, but it's not quite what it COULD be.

I suppose that I just WANT everything to be as nice as Gmail is and just work together. For example: Groups and Gmail really shouldn't be separate entities. Yahoo, Microsoft, and Google ALL get this wrong. Groups that I am a member of should just be "special magic" contacts in their own list, for example. Messages from Groups should be automatically tagged and stored in a "special magic" Google Groups view.

Orkut integration would follow along naturally (how do you keep in touch with your friends, why send them messages, of course!). from then, you build in Talk, Blogger, Base and Calendar.

In fact, Talk could STAY basic, if it was perfectly integrated, it wouldn't NEED any more features, because the rest of Google takes care of everything else.

Thanks for replying.
--JM

Gmail.pro [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

uh, the googleOS is already here and has been around for over 2 years...the back of their distributed file system/server architecture is what made all of these things, including gmail, possible – tie in for a calendar and other outlook-lite stuff makes a lot of sense – and that idea about sharing events, tagging, etc – that is brilliant, like paving the way for the largest social networking hub on earth – and of course, factor in dodgeball and danger acquisitions, and you see quite quickly the connection to people while they are physically moving, away from their big machines...

Michael [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Contact groups, not Google Groups. Tonight I noticed that I can now create groups in my contacts in Gmail. Sweet...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!