Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google serach goes directly to images with qusetionable pictures

Alicia [PersonRank 0]

Monday, November 24, 2008
15 years ago3,690 views

Hi,
I noticed a couple of weeks ago that typing www.google.com led directly to a google image page with a Lindsay Lohan picture and a few other questionable images. This computer is used primarily by kids ages 7, 9 and 13. Usually doing a google search goes to the web page not this image page. I know this is probably a virus but is there anything I can do? Our filters are not blocking the images and I am very concerned. We want to be able to type www.google.com and get a search box on the web not images.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Have you got antivirus installed?

I recommend Nod32 by eset. It costs money but it is certainly the best antivrus I have ever used in my Windows days. You can download the fee 30 day trial to run once to get rid of your problem.

The downoad page is here: http://www.eset.com/download/registered_software.php

Other Alternatives are AVG, Kapersky and Avast which are all free, or ad-aware by Lavasoft for adware/spyware.

I don't recommend "Total Security Suites" such as Norton or McAfee as these tend not to be updated as frequently or as good as Nod32, and are total resource hogs.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

[put at-character here]James: I think what Alicia means is that when the kids type search terms into google.com, she wants them to get links to web pages, not thumbnail images and videos.

Indeed, a search for "Lindsay Lohan" displays some raunchy images at the top of the search results. Not the kind that will corrupt a child, but the kind that might require the adult to explain what it's all about.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

<<I noticed a couple of weeks ago that typing www.google.com led directly to a google image page with a Lindsay Lohan picture and a few other questionable images.>>

I thought this sounded like address re-routing... sorry.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!