Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Get Quick Feedback For Your Website  (View post)

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, November 25, 2008
15 years ago5,108 views

If I was a website owner and wanted feedback, I would offer a survey on my own site to see what users thought and then I would skip the middle man (Feedback Army) and submit my survery to Amazon Mechanical Turk myself and get cheaper feedback that way.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Uclue also does website feedbacks from time to time. It costs a little more, but the process is more interactive. For example:

Question: Review my online business?
http://uclue.com/?xq=2428

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Agreed with Colin, you can get good feedback from a single person for $0.25 on Mechanical Turk, so why pay more than $2.50 for 10 responses?

It doesn't even have to be a survey...I've seen Turk requests like "make 5 suggestions to improve this website" with just a link to the site.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

> so why pay more than $2.50 for 10 responses?

Ease of use, I suppose (i.e. you'd pay for saving time). Starting a feedback job at Feedback Army for a user who's never been there takes around a minute or something, including the payment made via PayPal. It's very quick, with no need to even register, provided you have PayPal. How fast can you get feedback on Mechanical Turk provided you never registered with them before and don't know MTurk in and out? I'm asking, cause I don't know – I wasn't even able to start a MTurk job at all last time, because Amazon didn't accept my German bank account. (Right now, all I'm seeing at MTurk is "Login failed. This account is suspended.")

As for Uclue, which I love and would also think is a good service for feedback, the great thing at Feedback Army is that you get 10 results at once. Often, a single feedback could mislead you into thinking something that's only rarely important would be important, whereas from 10 results, you can quickly get a good overview of issues that many people may have.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

If you don't mind me asking:

Have you or will you [Philipp] submitted this site to the service? It would be interesting if you could share the results, as I can't seem to find where criticisms for this site would be, I love this design, i think it is maybe the best website around for simplicity and ease-of-use.

wil reynolds [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Right, ease of use is worth it, Mturk can kinda be hard to figure out, and really at & bux it isn't some kind of monsterous investment. I think its a great find! Thank you!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Didn't submit Blogoscoped.com yet, though I did ponder doing so :)

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Just wondering, but while I was younger I wa active on a forum with website developers and there was a sub forum there were we could post our websites and request feedback for free (and in return we would help each other out)... true it costs some time, but the feedback was of an incomparably different level and I assume these kind of fora still have to exist.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

And there's Philipp's "Hot or Not Web Designs, now in Eternal Beta":

http://www.hotornotdesigns.com/

Bengers [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

You can get feedback for your site for fee on www.sitepoint.com's forums. All you have to do is review 3 sites before you can submit your own

Jem Turner [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

Why pay at all? Submit your site to a website reviewing community like my http://rev.iew.me and give/get feedback for nothing.

Raphael [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

Paying is useful because you don't have to worry about burning out the community. You can make some changes and immediately request more feedback. I think eventually a free community may get sick of this.

I wrote Feedback Army and I'm finding a lot of niche sites are using the service. Niche developers may not be as plugged into different web discussion forums (I know I'm not) and don't want to spam people unnecessarily. Also paying for the feedback increases the chances that you'll get it.

Roy [PersonRank 0]

15 years ago #

If Blogoscoped needs feedback, it can just start a new topic and get comments from the loyal users who post here. You will want to get feedback from your target audience instead of anybody who uses Mturk. I think you'd get more constructive responses from your faithful users.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

15 years ago #

Having said that Roy, sometimes loyal users are less critical because they're so loyal. Strangers to the site would be impartial but might not fully understand what the site is trying to achieve in the small length of time they're view it.

Jem Turner [PersonRank 1]

15 years ago #

"Also paying for the feedback increases the chances that you'll get it. "

That's true. Given that rev.iew.me's average review count per site is currently 9 though [rev.iew.me/live-stats], there's definitely no shortage of feedback there!

Probably worth noting at this stage that I own rev.iew.me!

[Unlinked – Tony]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!